Chinese-Forums

Pronounciation of ang and eng

Alhazred

I think that the "standard American accent" (i.e., what national broadcaster use) has about the same distinction between "shot" and "shut" as Mandarin has between "shang" and "sheng." The "ng" mades the distinction a little less audible, but I think it is basically the same. In other words, if you listen for the same vowels as in English, you should be able to hear and make the distinctions. The true Mandarin vowels are different from the American equivalents, but the differences are fairly small.

• 6 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread...

How to write 'ang' and 'eng' using IPA?

My guess:

ang = ɑŋ

eng = ɤŋ

I used the first table in this Vowels section http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_phonology#Vowels to figure out the sounds. Am I correct?

In a way it doesn't feel right, because 'ang' feels like it's at the back of the mouth, and 'eng' feels like more front. But both ɑ and ɤ are back wovels...

It changes so much. I wish somebody would just get a good source and fix all Mandarin IPA on Wikipedia. The problem is that I haven't seen a good source yet. Therefore, I don't want people to go citing sources that think Mandarin has voiced obstruents.

From wikipedia, it's [ɑŋ] and [əŋ].

Strange. To me, for example in cheng it doesn't sound like [əŋ] at all. Maybe there's something wrong with my ears...

What's a wovel? Is it some type of animal? ;)

:D

It changes so much. I wish somebody would just get a good source and fix all Mandarin IPA on Wikipedia. The problem is that I haven't seen a good source yet. Therefore, I don't want people to go citing sources that think Mandarin has voiced obstruents.

Yep, the Mandarin IPA in Wikipedia is a mess.

Btw, isn't r a voiced obstruent?