Chinese-Forums

Is 5000RMB in Beijing enough?

dperstin

Hello,

I've been offered a contract to teach 3-6 yr olds in Beijing with accommodation included and meals at the school. The agency will pick me up from the airport and help with visa as well. They are offering me 5000 RMB a month and a $500 reimbursement for flight after completing a 6-month contract.

Is 5000 RMB enough to live comfortably? I am not a big partier and will cook for myself most of the time. I hope to take a chinese class as well 2-3 times a week.

Any toughts?

Dmitry

How many hours will you be doing? For 1 hour per week, that's quite good. For 25 hours, that's pretty poor.

However, in answer to your question, you should be able to live reasonable comfortably on that amount, but don't expect to be able to save much either.

5000 is way too low to work. But just for 6 Month temporary - why not?

What I would do:

Check about the included "accommodation". There are huge, huge!, differences between Western and Chinese standards in what constitutes "acceptable".

Fix the work location in your contract, so will not rent you out.

Fix the working hours and days in your contract.

Fix a pay for overtime. The clause "some overtime included" can mean you work 60 hours a week instead of 20.

I would make 100% that all terms are on my side - and then I can give something for free. In China it's usually the other way round.

Do any of you know what Chinese teachers are making?

I think that can vary a lot depending on school, education and status. I think on the low end it's a from 1500 - on average I would say 3-6000, some more then that.

Kindergarten will be very much at the low end.

As people have said, if accommodation is taken care of then 5,000 is plenty to live on. However it is at the low end of the salary scale for foreign teachers. I have the impression that kindergarten teaching for foreign teachers tends to pay relatively well, as not many people want to do it (did it for one semester myself way back when, wouldn't do it again).

Associate professors at Peking University make about 5000 yuan after tax. Other schools might be a little less. Lots of professors take outside jobs to make ends meet.

See articles below.

http://news.jxnews.com.cn/system/2006/09/25/002343630.shtml

北京大学副教授阿忆在网上贴出了自己算出的平均月薪为4876元,在减去各项生活开支后,竟然成了负数。对此,中国人民大学新闻学院一位副教授说,高校教师的收入是很零碎的,工资条仅是一层表皮,并不能说明职工的真实收入。

这位副教授以自己为例,他每个月实际划到工资卡上的有2500元~3000元,这笔钱与工作年限和职称密切相关。另外,每个月学院里会固定给一笔钱,相当于基本工资的30%,约有三四百元。由于院里会举办一些考生培训班,学院能从中获得创收,这样还会给每位教职工每月大约发1000元。再加上指导研究生论文的补贴及课时费等,算下来,不算工作外的收入,他一个月至少拿到4000多元。这位副教授还一直在媒体兼职,为一份报纸每周撰写一篇专栏文章,每月又多了3000元左右的收入。

在采访时,虽然大多数高校老师在被问到收入状况时讳莫如深,但通过调查,笔者发现,在外做兼职、或挂职做项目的高校教师非常多,这让他们有了不菲的灰色收入。

http://news.163.com/06/0921/03/2RGVE20I00011229.html

北大教授公布工资单叫穷引发争议

俺是副教授,总工资扣除各种税费,剩余1918元。副教授还有一笔津贴,平摊到12个月里,每月不到1368元。

此外我还有机会被安排出去,这笔钱扣税后拿不到1万,就算1万!再加上法定节日时有时无的临时补助,每年大概6000元,总平均一下,每月1333元。还有,每年硕士论文要答辩有2000元补助,平摊到每月167元。

算一下月薪总账:

1918+1368+1333+167=4786元接下来,还得算一算每个月有多少“必花钱”要支出去。

• 2 weeks later...

the question is, where will you live ? it indeed costs a lot to rent an apartment here in beijing, even if you stay with someone else to share.

also how many hours you will have to work a week? i have to say, if you just take this chance to travel here, would be nice, but if you also work for the money, 5000RMB is a shame... BUT, you can find tons offers to teach english here which give good money, as long as you have enough free time.

I live here on 5500 a month with free housing. Good location on the 3rd ring road, good quality apartment. I also drop a large, large portion of my salary on Chinese classes, so it is as though I earn little more than 3000.

The thing is, I only work 10 hours a week and have classes that require little prep and no grading outside of the classroom. My reason for being here is simply to learn Chinese and so I have made a point of avoiding the ex-pat bubble where everything seems to be at least 5x more expensive and in English. I ride the subway and the bus (just like back home, hah), I eat street food and the delicious student 餐厅 delights, and I don't mess with the bars... I've already managed to save a reasonable chunk of money in less than one semester of teaching. You can certainly have an enjoyable life on 5,000 if your location is not too far-flung, your employers good, and your lifestyle simple (as it sounds like it is). If the school is expecting you to stand there with 3-6 year olds for 20 or 25 or more hours a week, focusing on those Chinese classes you want to take may be difficult and I would say you deserve more money.

• 3 weeks later...

Why do I feel that people are spoilt in Beijing? Especially expats?

If you have free accommodation, times that amount by 2/3 (if you're from the UK) for equivalence in terms of cost of living, and you'd find that it is a reasonable amount and very livable. I mean, what would a part time language teacher get outside of China?

I think it depends on the living conditions you want to accept.

Assuming a modest food budget and sharing an apartment, 5-6000/mo is reasonable.

I think if you want to live in a private apartment in a central location that meets somewhat western standards, and you want to eat modestly but go out to a nicer place once in a while, with occasional travel, etc, 8000/mo is more realistic.