Chinese-Forums

Northeastern Dialect 东北话

Weskhan

this is a key characteristic of northeastern dialect

东北人 also pronounce the z/c/s sounds as zh/ch/sh

they switch these two sets of sounds in many characters

Thanks everyone for their enlightening replies! It's turned out that my observation was not wrong. But then, how can we say that Northeastern accent is easy to understand (The person in question is from Shenyang, Liaoning)? Especially as learners, don't we have serious problem in understanding when people switch the sound sets around?

HashiriKata, it's the same way we learn to understand English and other languages, I guess. A lot of exposure, even a careless or somewhat non-standard language is not an issue. I found that I can pick up the words I know, even if mispronounced but with unknown words, you may not be able to look them up in dictionaries or check variants. I agree it creates additional difficulties.

So I was watching that "Dong Bei Yi Jia Ren" show that somebody suggested on here, and I couldn't get how they were pronouncing人 in the intro song. It sounded like "reen". Strange.

Oh ya, and good lord they talk fast. It's so hard to understand :(

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh. Please I am from Harbin believe me they speak plain chinese, some's chinese are even better than those who are living in Beijing, as there is actually a dialect in Beijing. There is no dialect in Harbin, unless you mean Manchu language, but it would hardly be heard at all. Gosh 东北话actually means the extra words we use in our daily lifes. don't worry no one is about to speak that to you.

• 3 weeks later...