Chinese-Forums

The use of 而+action word

calibre2001

全市居民倾城而出迎接凯旋球队.

The city turned out to welcome back its victorious team.

如不能如愿而行,定须尽力而为.

If we can't do as we would, we must do as we can.

I'm curious on what is a proper English translation of 而 or some close examples when used in the form of 而+action format as above. I'm tryin to understand how to use it in writing.

Appreciate your help very much. Thanks

Until somebody more knowledgeable answers, you'll have to live with my shoddy explanations.

而 here indicate a manner in which something is done. nciku lists 夺门而逃 as an example. Force the door open and leave.

In the first sentence, the whole city turns out, that's how the team is welcomed. In the second sentence, you either do things according to wishes (如愿而行) or you accomplish things by trying your best (尽力而为)

Of course, it can also mean "but" and "moreover", but not here.

It is a marker of verbal coordination. In other words, it's an arbitrary conjunction, which can act like "and," "but," etc. Sometimes the first verb is linked as the antecedent condition for the second verb, like 盡力而為.

I would translate it as "and," "but," or "-ly."

Until more skillful bilinguality turns up, you'll have to live with my shoddy English.

而here is a conjunction, connecting adverbial with keyword. As renzhe explained, 倾城而出,倾城indicates the manner how people turn out, 而 doesn't have much meaning here, hence no word for word translation.

Few more examples: 侃侃而谈,席地而坐,相恃而势,恂恂而起。Most of them are 成语, so just use them as a term.

It has many meanings, so it depends on the meaning.

Depending on the context, you can substitute 但是 or 并且.

When it is used like you're using it in this thread, usually you can't use anything else, because it's often a part of a fixed phrase (like echo_zkl said).