Chinese-Forums

Taking the HSK? Already taken it? Report in here!

roddy

This morning I got the results of my 3rd attempt to pass HSK 5. Here are the results of the 3 attempts:

Listening Reading Writing Total score (you pass with 180 out of 300)

May 2012 4.1 4.1 4.4 126

December 2012 3.9 3.9 4.0 118

May 2013 6.2 5.2 3.4 148

You would expect me to be happy, but I'm just totally confused:

- of the 45 questions in the listening part, I *totally* didn't understand about 40 of them. So with 4 possible answers per multiple-choice question I shouldn't have scored much higher than 2.5, and a 6.2 is totally unexplainable.

- in reading I followed a new strategy. Normally I read the full text, I can answer almost all of the questions correctly, but I am just able to read about half of the material. So now I started reading the questions and answers, and then scanned the texts for the correct answer. This idea failed completely, because I couldn't find any answer. So how come I now suddenly have a 5.2?

- writing was much easier for me than previous times. I knew 100 to 200 characters more, I could write a lot faster, and I could quite easily write a large part of 1 of the 2 stories. And on writing my score is abominally low.

So I'm wondering if they mixed up exams. I even contacted the Confucius institute about it, first by phone, and then by mail. They are going to check things.

If the results are really mine (possibly because I understand more than I realize myself??) then I'm close to passing this exam. In the Netherlands I can do the computer exam, and then I should be able to score above 6. So then my average will also come close to a 6. But even then I'm not really glad, because then the exam doesn't match the criteria. If you read what you should be able to do for HSK 5, then there's still a large gap between my abilities and the requirements. Even in books for absolute beginners (required number of words: 500; my vocabulary: 10.500) there are still quite a few fragments I don't fully understand (even if I can easily read the story and understand the main meaning).

Henk

• Like 1

See the post above. My Confucius Institute already got an answer from Hanban. They checked my exam results, and everything seemed to be OK. So I can't explain how, but apparently I made some progress. I will probably try the computerexam in octobre or november. Then my writing score should be a lot higher.

Results from last month's HSK:

HSKK Advanced: 69 (pass)

HSK6

听力:65

阅读:71

写作: 61

总分:197

Looks like a pass.

Considering I didn't answer the last 10 questions of the reading, and didn't give more than a sentence response to each of the 'repeat a paragraph' in the HSKK I'm slightly insulted that it still merits a pass.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the results of the HSK held in Paris last month are in. I took the HSK4 and got the following scores:

听力 90.0

阅读 88.0

写作 64.0

总分 242.0

which is logical, as the only part I had actively prepared with mock tests was the 听力. I didn't do any HSK specific preparation for the 阅读 and the 写作. As I continue to focus on input, I seldom use Chinese in writing, so I expected my 写作 results to be much lower than the rest.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I took the 3 last sunday. It was more difficult than I had expected. I still expect to have passed, but maybe not exactly with flying colours.

Reading/writing section:

I thought these were my strong points. Usually I sneer at pinyin. But funnily, when I saw those pages covered in Hanzi and no pinyin in sight, my heart dropped under the chair. Took me a while to find it and put it back in. In the mock tests I always finished the reading and writing parts 5 minutes early and had 0 mistakes. Live, I was struggling to finish in time and expect some serious mistakes.

Conjunctions: I hadn't trained their use properly and I knew that was bad. But I had underestimated just how really bad it is for your understanding when you're not sure what the conjunction in this sentence means :shock:

Oh anyway, if any of you are at my stage and planning to march on to 4级 let's share tips!

• Like 1

@Ruben

I took 4th level test on the 1st December in Guangzhou and hopefull will get my target (240). My advice for it is it do things which is too difficult, as this will raise your level quicker. What I do it read the newspaper everyday, read different magazines and watch lots of Chinese tv, at the moment I'm addicted to 非诚勿扰 on 江苏卫视, 

Anyway, keep up the hard word, don't give up.... 3 and 4 are easy compared to 5 and 6 !!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just passed the HSK6. I messed up during the reading part and I think I‘d do better there if I were to do it again, but overall I'm happy.

Listening: 87

Reading: 67

Writing: 63

Total: 217

I took the test in October 2013 and I started studying Chinese in November 2011, so I went from 0 to HSK6 in a little under two years! Although I've been studying hard, I think this is definitive proof that the HSK is much too easy. I still think I have a long way to go with my Chinese, and it's slightly disappointing that there are no levels past six.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I took the HSK5 Computer Test at Pace Uni in New York on 14 Feb 2014. Results and comments below. Hope my experience can help others.

听力  90.0
阅读  70.0
写作  83.0
Score  243.0

I found the reading tough. There was a lot of vocabulary that I had not seen on the 2,500 Character "list".
It was possible to figure out the meaning of each item from the context, but that really slowed me down.
So I ran out of time, and left 4 questions unanswered. This happened on the practice tests too, so I expected it.
I plan to absorb a lot more vocabulary, then I might do this again, or wait until I'm ready for HSK6.

To all of you who already passed level 6 - my hat is off to you!

• Like 1

Hey Forumers,

I just got my test results back for the HSK 4, and I couldn't be happier! I sort of took the test to get my feet wet and get a better idea of where I fell on a standardized scale for Chinese ability (I have no idea how many characters I know, for example),  and so I prepped and the results were better than I hoped for.

I've been studying Chinese for six years ,althought only two of that was classroom study, and another two was a years long break due to burning out in the first two years :$. I dipped my toe into the HSK tests by looking at the test prep books at my local Zhengzhou bookstore and seeing how well I could do on the questions off the top of my head. The 4 seemed easy enough without being too easy, and thus good for building motivation, and not so hard as to require me to break my back over studying for it. I picked up three books; 21 days to HSK 1-4 vocabulary, a small booklet of sample questions, and a bigger book with 6 practice tests.

In my practice, I found I didn't know about 40% of the new vocab, which certainly put my current Chinese level in perspective before I even took the test. My wife to be was kind enough to walk me through the vocab and correct me on usage and correct my mistakes on writing and sentence making (which were by far my worst places on the test). Listening and reading were pretty easy though. I talk to my fiance and her family at length every day, so listening's definitely not my issue, and I'm hitting reading hard this year so that portion fell very nicely under my hardcore practice for this year.

My biggest issue came with the writing portion. The questions that require you to put the sentence portions in the right place weren't too bad, but the questions where you look at a picture and make a sentence with a word they give (看图造句)you was terrible for one big reason. If I was pressed to write by hand I could barely eke out a simple sentence but if I was allowed to type my answers, the ideas I was trying to express outstripped my active grammar skills.

Unfortunately on the test I had the ladder problem, and most of the ideas I tried to write were far too complicated for my grammatical ability in writing. For example (although it's not a grammar related one), there was a picture of a little girl eating sour fruit, with the word 酸 next to it. I wanted to say that "it looks like my daughter isn't too fond of sour fruits.“  And so I wrote something to the effect of "好像我的女孩不太喜欢这么的水果。" Hoisted by my ego and making errors like this on most of my sentences, writing was my worst part.

I'm very happy how it all turned out though and I'm ready to burst forth into the HSK 5 once my personal projects and challenges wind down a bit.

My grades:

听力

阅读
写作
Score

I can't complain about this at all, but this tells me one huge thing going into the HSK 5; I need to work on writing, because any errors I have on this lower level test are going to be magnified at higher levels.

The takeaway for others? 

Don't writie above the grammar you possess. Keep your answres as simple as you can and you won't fall into the trap I did.

Good luck everybody!

post-52692-0-67653600-1395458082_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I took my HSK level 2 on 15th Feb 2014 and still the results are not available online!!

It is getting ridiculously frustrating now can anyone shed any sot of light onto how or why or when I can even try and access these results please! 

When i go to the website chinesetest.cn the latest information it gives me is this : "There is problem with this exam authority’s materials, hence it is therefore under special review. The exam results will be released at a later date."

any help thrown my way would be much appreciated after waiting 1.5 months for this!

• Like 1

Tomorrow is the big day, after three years in China I will try the HSK 6 for the first time. Feeling pretty good about it, except for the 找病句 it should be doable. Will report back with a post-exam gut feeling, I guess. :)