Chinese-Forums

Taking the HSK? Already taken it? Report in here!

roddy

• 1 month later...

Thought i'd write up a report as well. I did the HSK 3 and HSK Speaking Intermediate in March in Singapore. My Masters degree required me to be proficient in three languages, so I needed a minimum HSK level 3 and the HSK Speaking Beginner. I didnt really want to study for this, so I went with the minimum for the written test and Intermediate for the spoken.

The written test was easy, as expected only the written part was an issue. Not studying characters for years led me to forget how to write 选 and 礼. Results:

听力:100

阅读:100

书写:88

总分:288

The spoken test was a different matter. What a terrible way of doing a spoken test. We were in a small room with 10-15 test takers. Each of us were given a tape recorder with an actual full sized TAPE. For the test, we are supposed to listen to sentences from the CD being played in the room, then repeat them into the recorder. 15 people speaking at the same time and for some reason everyone tried to sync their speech with each other. So we were repeating the sentences in union, focusing more on each other than the actual sentences, leading to some of us falling out.

Then came the part where you are supposed to just talk about pictures and stuff. Everyone talks quite well for a while, then suddenly the room becomes quiet. I still had B/S I could say, but it was just so awkward in the room with the total silence and the proctor kept saying, "speak, say more!".

Then the worst thing happened. At the last 5 minutes of the test, my tape ran out... This happened to several of the test takers and after the test they told us we had to do the test over with a longer tape. I think most people stayed, but I had another engagement I had to get to, so I just told them to send my tape in either way. Results:

Score: 78 (passing score 60).

For anyone doing the test in Singapore (at TLC learning center), the written part was well organized. The spoken test, however, was terrible.

• Like 1

I took an HSK 4 last month : ) 

I have just known the result.

Test date  17th August 2014
听力 96
阅读 97
写作 76
Total 269

In a writing part, I did not prepare well so I forgot how to write many characters.
I suddenly forgot how to write them.

• Like 2

@edelweis: Most of my studying has been by myself. I did an MA at Fudan University, but that was in English and Chinese was a seriously undervalued part of our curriculum. Studied with a tutor for a semester, but then went on exchange to the US and thus lost track. Picked it up again a few years later while working in Brussels, through some evening classes at the university and some Skritter. Since I couldn't secure a permanent contract and wanted to invest more in my Chinese, I took the plunge and moved to Daqing in Heilongjiang. There I taught English while studying by myself for 18 months, basically lifting my crappy ca. HSK2 Chinese to a healthy HSK5 now.

It's been a struggle because formal education has been just a tiny fraction of learning Chinese for me, so I've spent quite some time figuring out how to study the language. I've found that, for me, daily Skritter (1hr) and ChinesePod combined with regular textbook/reader reading, meeting with a language partner and using Chinese lots in the classroom and daily life has worked pretty well. In that sense moving to middle-of-nowhere Daqing has truly been great, as there are some 50 foreigners in a city of 1,3 million.

It's also been a struggle because I was forced to take the HSK this August, while I was hoping to take it late fall. I didn't feel ready and wasn't sure I'd pass. Forced, because a new job with the European Union has had me relocate to Taipei, where I now face the task of re-learning all the simplified characters I knew in their traditional variant. I've always known that with Chinese the challenge never truly stops, but I'm surprised myself sometimes how much I'm starting to like that. :-)

• Like 2

thank you for the details mengjiepeng, it looks like you did a good job, studying outside of a formal setting :)  and you have a new challenge ahead, perhaps in a few months you'll come back with TOP/TOCFL (or whatever it's called now) test results :mrgreen:

and congrats to Sweetypromise, Traunk and Hedge.

• Like 1

I will be taking the HSK 4 on the 11th of October in Erlangen, Germany. I took a long break starting in 2010. (Getting married, getting a job, having a son, ... ).

For the last year or so I slowly got into a grove starting out with just 5 min a day hanzi review. Now I am learning 30-60 min a day until the exam. Not sure what I will do afterwards.

• Like 1

@ Edelweis

No problem. For me it was mostly those things i did before studying for the HSK that prepared me for it. I don't mean to make is sound like an overwhelming process. Studying a little bit every day makes a big difference.

It was all really enjoyable and I still had a lot of time to spend time with friends and explore Beijing  :D The HSK prep book was also very useful though and I would highly recommend the book i mentioned to anyone preparing for HSK Lv 6

Hello I have been getting my feet wet with this HSK thing and it seems like I have been doing ok so far with the practice tests. But I have one question about studying the vocabulary, it seems as though there isn't a set type of vocabulary you need to know before the test is this right? I have the list of what I am recommended to study but I always find new words from the book that I don't know. So I need help with a good vocabulary list for the HSK. Thanks a lot!

@coys1991 : there are official vocabulary lists, however the higher the level, the higher the probability that the test will contain words that are not on the list.

For instance, HSK level 1 tests could possibly contain only words from the list, HSK level 3 tests could contain 3-4 words that are not on the list, while HSK level 6 tests will probably contain many words that are not on the list (since the expected vocabulary is "upwards of 5000 words").

And the mock up exam books also reflect this, although different authors mix in different percentages of words that are not on the lists, resulting in varying levels of difficulty... this was discussed several times in this forum including here with links to earlier discussions in the next post after that.

The official lists currently on the HSK website are here (you can find many more official resources here).

• 2 weeks later...

Even though the HSK computer based exam has no value, I’m still happy I passed level 5. I couldn’t have done it without banging on a keyboard.

Here’s the breakdown:

Listening: 95
Reading: 77
Typing: 89
Total: 261

I’m happy with my listening score, pleasantly surprised by my typing score and a little disappointed with my reading score. If I had taken the dead tree version, I think my reading score would have been higher (because I would have had more time to read and reread), but since I don’t know how to write characters, I would have failed the handwriting section. Three cheers for keyboards!

Well, I think it's time I got myself into gear and took the HSK, so I plan to take level 5 in May locally.  I'm very grateful to several of the comments above for mentioning the written component as, thanks to lack of constant use of hand written characters, I would struggle with and let myself down on that part.  So, I will get going with more 写字 practise as soon as I can.  :)