Chinese-Forums

studying Chinese in Shenzhen?

zerolife

I couldn't find any discussion on studying Chinese in Shenzhen ... a major city in China and only less than a hour to HK. What do you guys think?

Being in the Special Economic Zone, will there be special opportunities not found in other Chinese cities ... for example finding internship etc. as you don't require a work visa there?

Where did you get the idea that you don't need a work visa to work in Shenzhen? That is completely untrue.

Yes, you could study there. Although in the middle of a Cantonese speaking area, the lingua franca tends to be Mandarin. 99% of the population are migrants from other parts of China.

Argument against? Shenzhen is one of the most expensive cities in China. You could get more for your buck elsewhere.

ops sorry i just realized that this forum is for studying in Beijing only
No, this forum is not specifically for studying in Beijing only. Here I've seen a few posts about studying Chinese in Shenzhen and have also heard about one or two Chinese langugage schools in Shenzhen. It's just that Shenzhen doesn't appear to be one of the first places that come to mind for studying Chinese.

Being in the Special Economic Zone, will there be special opportunities not found in other Chinese cities ... for example finding internship etc. as you don't require a work visa there?

First, like Liuzhou, I would point out that you do need a visa to work in the SEZ. Secondly, I think that unless you want to go into a job such as trade or sourcing, Shenzhen will probably offer fewer opportunities for work than Shanghai or Beijing (or even Guangzhou). Shenzhen may be economically quite developed, but it is not really a cosmopolitan place and therefore I think opportunities for non-Chinese people are likely to be fewer than in the bigger, more famous cities.

I lived in Shenzhen for a year and I think it would be an ok place to study. But only ok. I can immediately think of several other places where I would rather study Chinese: Beijing, Shanghai, Qingdao or Harbin spring immediately to mind. I've spent significant lengths of time in all these cities except for Harbin and they all offer good quality of life and interesting experiences (more than Shenzhen I think).

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello

I am now studying my first semester chinese in Beijing Language & Culture University in Beijing, but after the summer I want to move to Shenzhen and study a semester there, but I have no idea of what school to pick. So I want to know all you know :) Have you studied chinese in Shenzhen, or do you know someone who have? Tell me everything.

1. Is there a skill-test/placement test in the beginning of the semester to decide classes?

2. What time is school every day?

3. How many students in each class?

4. How much is the tuition fee for one semester?

5. Is most of the students japanese/koreans? (I'm swedish)

6. How is the study pace? Is it difficult to keep up in school? I(my friend and me) want to find a school that is not too hard and not too easy.