Chinese-Forums

Shaw Brothers vocabulary

character

I guess I'm just curious if that whole sentence is a set phrase.

Almost. 有什麼事 is a very common phrase. The whole sentence is quite common. Think of it as "what 事 made you come and 找 me?"

Should 掌 be 拳 ?

No. 掌 is palm, 拳 is fist. Both are common when describing martial arts moves in wuxia novels.

Thanks renzhe!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

老夫讓你嚐嚐易筋錯骨的苦頭

I'll let you try my skill of disassembling the joints

Is 易 used to mean change, specifically change the 筋骨 for the worse?

元帥精兵撤退 吾軍必能直摀黃龍

If the General's troops can retreat our troops can head straight to the capital

摀黃龍 / 捂黃龍 -- is this a set phrase?

Edited by character

Thanks skylee! I messed up writing that character. About 90 screencaptures to go and we're done. Well, then I need to write a program to replace the ABC defs with CEDICT ones before I can post the list, but that won't take long.

The way I understand this exchange, the 师伯 made him steal a secret letter because he's planning to do something with this secret letter.

So the answer would be more like. "Yes, I've stolen the letter. What are you planning to do?" 你预备怎么样 literally means "How/what have you prepared?"

You could possibly translate it as "what now?"

EDIT: Actually, on a second reading, it seems like 师伯 is asking him "was it YOU who stole the secret letter?", and the answer is more like "Yes, what are you going to do about it?"

Hrm, need more context :mrgreen:

Edited by renzhe

I posted the vocabulary list as an attachment on the first message of this thread. I'm not sure how useful the list will be to anyone, as the cc-cedict definitions lack the focus I was able to bring by hand-picking the appropriate definition from the list ABC would provide for a word. Still, compressing a movie down to ~640 vocabulary items feels like it has some value, and I really appreciate all the help y'all have given me to create the list.

I hope it ends up being helpful for you too.
It's been very helpful. Knowing that the amount of vocabulary in such a film is so limited is a great psychological boost. Creating the list has helped me recognize a lot of new characters. At the same time it's clear I will have to put in a lot more work to get the full benefit of the list.