Chinese-Forums

Longest Chinese word (# of Characters)?

whereishunter

A friend asked me the other day. What its the longest Chinese word? (Ie Number of Characters?) I know that most words are 2 or 3 characters, but other than that I have no idea... :help

I will be interested in seeing what long/large Chinese words are out there. :D

the longest word i can think about is 风马牛不相及 or 迅雷不及掩耳, google returns many socalled longest words or chenyu,but i think its more accurate to call those "sentences" rather than "words".

Your question reminds me of this programme ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjI0EzrT_C8 (from 4:03)

which gave us this word -

Quote:

蘇格蘭場非工業用國際線路16 Valve風油軚垂直升降連鐳射洗衣乾衣腐蝕性氣墊毛筆

omg that guy is really awesome

ChIP?

蘇格蘭場非工業用國際線路16 Valve風油軚垂直升降連鐳射洗衣乾衣腐蝕性氣墊毛筆

OK You know what? This is pointless, because people can just make up words as long as they want.

Alright, so what's the longest Chinese word, in a dictionary, that isn't a proper noun. I'll start the bidding at 7 characters, with 经济技术开发区。 Arguments about whether that's actually a word or not are also welcome.

Imo, it's a compound word or word combination but since there are no spaces, it's hard to tell for sure. Well, in German, neunzehnhundertneunundneunzig (nineteen (hundred) ninety-nine) is written with no spaces but not sure if it's one word. Your word is not atomic enough.

• 2 years later...

Zhōng jiě jué xuán àn gāng xié dìng the treaty of 1923 normalizing relations between the Soviet Union and the Northern Warlord government of China

that is the longest word ive come accross...coming in at a whopping 10 characters

In 朗道词典 I found this one: 六羟基硬脂酸8,9,11,12,14,15-六羟基十八烷酸

Meaning: hexahydroxy-stearic acid

Ehm, those are two renditions of the same thing (or rather one is a name of specific member of a family, the other is the name of that group). The first is hexahydroxystearic acid (with 'stearic acid' being equivalent to '硬脂酸'); the second is 8,9,11,12,14,15-hexahydroxyoctadecanoic acid (with the '-anoic acid' root being equivalent to '烷酸').

• 4 weeks later...
中华人民共和国中央人民政府
That's a proper noun though
In 朗道词典 I found this one: 六羟基硬脂酸8,9,11,12,14,15-六羟基十八烷酸

I don't think this counts either if I was the one judging. It might not be a proper noun, but it is a scientific name

• 2 years later...