Chinese-Forums

Hotmail blocked

realmayo

It's the login.live.com domain that's blocked. In fact, it's the string "login.live.com" that's being filtered - tack that onto the end of any URL and watch your connection reset. The same thing's happening to the strings "twitter.com" and "flickr.com", probably to prevent the use of web proxies.

You'll have to use a software proxy, a VPN, or a web proxy that mungs the URL so it doesn't get caught.

MSN's fine, using it now. Can't get to twitter, flickr and hotmail though. Going to go make some banners, see everyone on Chang'an Avenue . . .

Edit: Poor MSN - they only launched their new search engine Bing.com a day or two ago, and it's already been blocked.

Edited by roddy

Wikipedia still fine. Both in Chinese and English

Twiitter still accessible via Tweetdeck (at least down here.)

M a J i an 's very interesting article on the Guardian website is blocked, but the rest of the site is Ok.

I can get MSN with no problems, but Hotmail has got lost- I never use it anyway.

News.bbc.co.uk's English pages are accessible, the Chinese ones aren't (and haven't been since I don't know when). Wikipedia is accessible in both languages, although individual pages may be blocked or trigger filters.

My job requires me to check emails and also a lot of social network sites (aka twitter, facebook etc), does anybody know whether getting a VPN is legal in China? I am using a USA and CANADA based VPN here.

I am planning to go to China to study that's why I ask this question :)

Further to the story ... I seem impossible to chat in English on QQ: my recipients simply don't receive the message.

When I send a text message in English on my mobile, my recipient doesn't receive it, even though I do get a succesful delivery report.

Doing the same in (my very poor) Chinese: no problems at all.

Seems the local monitoring here is using the "lazy though working" approach ... :roll:

I just read the news, and am checking to see if this site is blocked. All the discussions I've seen here have been very civil, level headed, and not critical of the government, so I cannot see why it would. Roddy has set some very good ground rules in that regard.

Which brings me to another question. Are there any selected Chinese sites being blocked from access outside of China? Not that I would have the time to do so - it would take me all day to decipher most of the content since my 汉字 reading skills are still weak.

I wonder if this has any correlation with blogspot/blogger being blocked as well.

A Chinese friend said the PRC are probably toughening up their blocking because of the lead up to the 20th anniverary of the Tiananmen Square incident anniversary on June 6.