Chinese-Forums

Visa at the Hong Kong border.

flameproof

Visa situation at the border crossing Hong Kong > Lowu / Luohu (checked June 4th 2009)

An update of the visa situation on the CHINA side, AFTER the HK border passport check. The place to get either visa is after the bridge, turn left, one floor up.

5 days Shenzhen SEZ visa

Again everybody can apply the 5 day SZ SEZ visa (except USA). Cost is rmb 160. This should take a few Minutes. During the Olympics only HK residents could get the SZ SEZ, it's back to all. Note that some nationalities have to pay more. See the attached picture.

Full China visa (L)

Next the 5-day SZ SEZ visa office there is a small CITS whole in the wall visa place. They issue 1- and 2-entry visas. Takes about 1 hour. See the picture of the office. Cost is:

1 month, 1 entry (L): rmb 410

3 month, 2 entry (L): rmb 640

6 month multible rmb 1300 (only HK permanent residents)

Again, no USA passports, and some nationalities (usually banana places, plus UK) have to pay more.

Note the both' places opening times do not match the border opening time, so don't come too late.

Have questions? Call them!

Eachtravel / Mr. Liu Feng Chu (it's the visa shop on the left picture)

0755 / 8232 9401 or 1380 988 2522

2358_thumb.attach

2359_thumb.attach

Edited by flameproof

Wow, I never knew you could get visa on arrival in China!

How long has this been possible?

For Lowu border at least 10+ years.

Note; you can ONLY get visa at Lowu border, not in Huanggang or Lokmachau

The Shenzhen-only visa's been available for going on 20 years.

There've been places on the second floor offering the "normal" visa for many years as well, but I've never heard of anyone actually using the service. To the right before exiting the paid area at Lowu Station (HK side), there's a small CTS office which has long offered visa service with a one or two hour wait. If you're looking for a visa more-or-less on arrival but feel uncomfortable heading across the border without one (and who wouldn't), this is a safer alternative.

There've been places on the second floor offering the "normal" visa for many years as well, but I've never heard of anyone actually using the service. To the right before exiting the paid area at Lowu Station (HK side), there's a small CTS office which has long offered visa service with a one or two hour wait. If you're looking for a visa more-or-less on arrival but feel uncomfortable heading across the border without one (and who wouldn't), this is a safer alternative.

Yes, there is also a CTS on the HK side inside the paid area. I never used those. I have used the China side service a few times for the SZ SEZ visa and once the hole-in-wall counter for a full China visa. They quoted 2 hours wait, but after 10 Minutes I got the visa. Just be aware that they have lunch breaks. Nothing goes then.

If memory serves, I also got a visa arriving in Guangzhou a couple of years back, after taking the train in from Hong Kong.

Definitely, but I am not sure that is still so. Maybe it was a special arrangement during the Canto Fair only. I would really not count on that. You could also get visa on arrival in Zhuhai (Gongbei and seaport) and on Zhongshan (seaport), but not in Foshan (seaport), I got there once refused entry for lack of visa.

I would not count on it that any of those is still working today. Turning up at a border with no visa can result in a fine, as many Brits at Luohu have experiences, I guess Americans too.

Full China visa (L)

Next the 5-day SZ SEZ visa office there is a small CITS whole in the wall visa place. They issue 1- and 2-entry visas. Takes about 1 hour. See the picture of the office. Cost is:

1 month, 1 entry (L): rmb 410

3 month, 2 entry (L): rmb 640

6 month multible rmb 1300 (only HK permanent residents)

That's expensive. Can get 6 month L visas in Wan Chai for around $800HKD.

Are you sure permanent residents and excluding < 7 year temporary residents?

As I recall: Permanents can apply for 1 year multiple and Temporary can apply for 6 month multiple.

Definitely, but I am not sure that is still so. Maybe it was a special arrangement during the Canto Fair only. I would really not count on that.
Yeah, I wouldn't count on it either - also didn't back then, only needed a new visa because I didn't understand my double-entry visa...

I don't think it was during the Canton Fair, but it might be that they have the counter specifically for people that, well, don't understand their double-entry visas.

• 8 months later...

Can someone please help me clarify: are the list of countries/nationalities listed on the image above the only ones who are allowed to obtain visas from this border? Or are all nationalities welcome to apply?

Can someone please help me clarify: are the list of countries/nationalities listed on the image above the only ones who are allowed to obtain visas from this border?

This are the nationalities that have to pay extra. Others pay the normal fee for 5-day SZ visa. This does not apply to the full visa.

Since this is now 9 month I will check how it's now. I don't think there will be much change though.

As I recall: Permanents can apply for 1 year multiple

HK Permanent ID card holders can apply for a 1 year multi in Wanchai (and only there). Cost is HK$600 - there are also 2 and 3 year on the list (all are HK$600) and they may be given to those that apply for a 1 year visa. I guess most that had a few multi visas before will be given the 3 year visa.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"paid area" at Lowu Station (HK side)

Lowu Station is a pure train border. The train (MTR) arrives at one side. You leave the train and go through the turnstiles to immigration, hence you are leaving the paid area that you can only access with a valid MTR ticket.

• 2 months later...

I have been for some time wondering if it's possible to arrive in China without a visa, with the intention of getting it at the arrival airport. From this thread it seems possible at the Hong Kong border, but what about at some other major cities such as Beijing and Shanghai? And what'd happen if you arrive without a visa? Would you face immediate deportation (assuming that you haven't done anything (else) wrong and are from a non-hostile country)?

I heard on FlyerTalk that it is possible to get a seven-day (?) visa on arrival in Dalian. However, China as a whole offers visa-on-arrival, but only in certain circumstances, like if you are in China to attend a funeral and were unable to obtain a visa beforehand, or if you are attending to official government business.

As far as I know, if you attempt to enter China without a visa, you can (or more likely will) be deported.

I'd advise you to get a visa prior to arriving at the border unless you know definitely that you can obtain one at the border you are crossing. I wouldn't trust information provided outside of China. Get the number of the tourist information and ask them to confirm. Office times etc might not match your arrival times. I've read information on forums before about the Lo Wu crossing and it always seems sketchy with people never confirming which nationalities etc qualify. This thread being the only one I've found with actual information. The price is substantially more than what you would pay at an embassy though I think.