Chinese-Forums

MAC users - please help

hanxue

Yep, the icons for the two are the same in Snow Leopard.

An easier/clearer way to switch methods would be to hold down the command key for about a second, and while you are still holding it down, hit the space bar. As you continue holding down the command key, a transluscent list of input methods will show up that you can pick. Use the arrow keys to select which one. When you are done, let go of the command key.

Well that's because you haven't assigned any hot key for it. So go back to "Keyboard shortcut" then "Keyboard & Text Input" and you can select whichever you want to activate, just make sure these is no conflict (Preference will detect and highlight it automatically if there is any so don't worry).

@jon09:

Hey Jon. I hadn't noticed the same font because I almost exclusively type in simplified characters. That is somewhat disappointing, and not like Apple at all! They are normally much more careful about their UI design.

I mapped my keyboard shortcuts for changing languages to

cmd-shift-space

That way cmd-space still opens Spotlight as intended by the basic OS install. You can set keyboard mappings in the languages and text dialog panel -- their is a button for it.

If I press cmd-shift-space rapidly, it simply changes the language being used as an icon in the menubar. If I do it more slowly, like maybe at a half-second rate, then I get the black/white pop-up menu in the center of the screen.

Also note that you can change the order the languages present in the menu by simply dragging them in the languages preference panel.

After using the new Mac OS built-in Pinyin Simplified input method for a few months now, I still like it better than ITABC. And, because I'm comfortable with it, I did not try QIM as was suggested. My workflow is more important to me. I just need something that works for me and I'm comfortable with the built-in OS tools. I've added QIM to my list of things to explore when I have more free time.

Cheers.

Russ

Milwaukee, WI

Edited by russmeier
Made Mac Pinyin less ambiguous.

• 2 weeks later...

Help !

I moved to snow leopard and I tried to type chines as I did with ITABC.

Unfortunately, after choosing PinYin-Simplified, nothing happens : characters are more separated as in french or English but are not sublined and, when I press spacebar, no translation in chinese characters.

However, if I choose Pinyin-Traditional, it works but, of course, writes traditional characters.

How to get writing simplified characters.

Thanks

I updated to Snow Leopard when it was launched, and would like to comment a few things:

1- The input method for 简体字 is certainly better than that of Leopard (ITABC). I haven't tried the method for 繁体字 in Snow Leopard, but as far as I can remember it worked better than ITABC, for it allowed you to input tone numbers, thus increasing accuracy.

2- Despite what I've just said, it's still not as good as FIT (Fun Input Toy).

3- I haven't tried QIM, but I assume it to be better than FIT (mainly because comments on other websites).

4- In Leopard, I had myself some problems with the input method (which did once stop to work after I wrote 拜拜 using ITABC. It did never work again, I had to format), but none in Snow Leopard.

This being said, I've had another little problem both on iPod Touch and on Leopard, which may or may not be still affecting other people using Snow Leopard: characters (the main example being 门) being displayed in a shape which I didn't recognize (perhaps a character variant). I solved this by going to System Preferences and then Language & Text (this is the title of the menu in Snow Leopard, in iPod Touch it was 多语言环境 and I'm not sure of the name of the menu in Leopard, but I guess you'll be able to find it) and then, in the Language menu, putting 简体中文 as the first option. Doing this (and logging out) changes all the menus to 简体中文. After that, I reverted to the language I was using before (English) and all the 简体 characters were in the standard 简体 forms (i.e., problem solved).

Help !

I moved to snow leopard and I tried to type chines as I did with ITABC.

Unfortunately, after choosing PinYin-Simplified, nothing happens : characters are more separated as in french or English but are not sublined and, when I press spacebar, no translation in chinese characters.

However, if I choose Pinyin-Traditional, it works but, of course, writes traditional characters.

How to get writing simplified characters.

Thanks

Giorec, have you tried switching to, say, French or another input method which doesn't use 汉字, waiting, say, 10 seconds, and then going back to Pinyin-Simplified? sometimes the input method isn't really active if you change input methods too fast. Check Caps lock as well!