Chinese-Forums

Chinese evening classes in London

furley

I am coming to the end of my first year of evening Chinese classes at King's College London. I have a mixed view, the teacher I began with was very nice but not so good at pushing us to learn which I think is essential. I had to swap classes as this one was cancelled and my new teacher is really good, he pushes us and the style of learning is less linear.

I was just wondering what everyone elses experience was in London and their opinion and if anyone had done the summer intensive courses at SOAS?

I did a week's intensive intermediate-level summer course at SOAS last summer and really enjoyed it.

There were half a dozen or so students and two teachers, both pretty good, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

We were mostly using the later lessons from a book used by second-year undergraduates "A trip to China" which is quite fun, plus lots of class discussions and individual presentations.

The focus was on reading, listening and speaking - no need to write characters (unless you wanted to).

Not much more to say really, it was a very happy and productive week.

Elliott