Chinese-Forums

White Russians in China

Ian_Lee

Did anybody remember that there used to be sizable population of White Russians in Tientsin and Shanghai?

After 1949, a lof of them sought exodus again and settled down in North America and Europe.

Some of them stayed temporarily in Hong Kong.

They opened a lot of Russian restaurants in Hong Kong in '50s and '60s. I remember the Borsch served in those restaurants which cost just HK$1.20 was my favorite lunch during the school years.

But finally they have all left the territory.

And now the only Russian restaurant left in the territory is Cherikoff. But it has changed to a bakery and I guess the owner is not Russian anymore.

You can still get your borscht at the Queen's Cafe.

You are right. In fact, the Queen's Cafe was founded by the White Russians in 1952. Read:

http://www.time.com/time/hongkong/special/best.html

CLOSEST THING TO VLADIVOSTOK

With menu items like shashlik and zakuska, this is not your standard Hong Kong eatery. But the Queen's Cafe on Hysan Avenue in Causeway Bay (2576-2659) is a local classic. Founded in 1952 by White Russian immigrants (who are responsible for making borscht an odd staple of Hong Kong diners), Queen's Cafe is one of the city's oldest western restaurants, though it recently relocated to new premises, and turns out the best raisin bread in town. The handover makes the territory's White Russians third time un-lucky: historically supporters of the czar, they fled first to Shanghai, then to Hong Kong in a double escape from communist regimes.

But recently I tried it once and the menu price is really exorbitant.