Chinese-Forums

Safety in Chengdu

nico3d

Just wanted to check with you guys. How safe is Chengdu ?

Outside my job I'm a photographer and I carry pretty flashy gear. Should I be concerned? In Shanghai I used to walk everywhere at everytime with my camera hanging on my shoulders outside the bag and never ever worried.

Today I took a taxi that had iron bars going between the driver and me and that got me thinking. HOw do you feel yourselves?

Any other photographers out there?

I'm a photographer and I carry pretty flashy gear...Today I took a taxi that had iron bars going between the driver and me and that got me thinking.

The iron grillwork cage around the taxi driver is standard in many Chinese cities.

A skilful 小偷 relieved me of my little “point and shoot” camera just before Spring Festival as I rode a crowded bus here in Kunming. I would imagine you would be a prime target in Chengdu with really expensive gear.

In Shanghai I used to walk everywhere at everytime with my camera hanging on my shoulders outside the bag and never ever worried.

I've never been to Shanghai, but unless it's VERY different from other big Chinese cities in this aspect, I think that you were unwise in doing this and were just lucky that it was never taken. Even if the camera itself was in front of you resting on your chest where you could always see it, although that's pretty safe, still it's possible to cut the strap from behind. When I lived in CD it was pretty bad as far as theft goes, that was 5 yrs ago, but don't imagine it's changed much. Of course the most dangerous places for thefts are in crowds and on the bus, so if you somehow managed to avoid those situations you would be pretty safe. But difficult for me to imagine totally avoiding that in SH or CD. :) If you're physically imposing and look a little like a mobster that would help, too. :wink:

This thread has reminded me of this tv ad ->

youku - http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTU5NzUwNTY=.html

youtube -

Surely you are not supposed to let some strangers have your expensive camera, right? Instead of kindly taking a photo for you, I think it is more likely that they would strike your head with the heavy camera and then run away with it, right? :mrgreen:

I just took my sister, a pro photographer, around Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou, and SW Yunnan; she was carrying a $4000 digital camera and a traditional film camera, both of which got tons of attention from the locals. Just don't be dumb: carry you camera(s)/purse so that they hang down in FRONT of your body. Chinese thieves are generally very passive-aggressive: they usually won't ever outright confront you in a robbery. If it's not something they can subtly take while you're not looking, they most likely find someone else. I would be more concerned walking around most large US cities w/ that kind of equipment than in Chengdu; it's amazing what a little gun control can do.

I'm with #5. If you keep your wits about you (as I'm sure you already do in Shanghai) there's no need to change the way you go about your street photography. Getting robbed can happen anywhere, and there's no reason why there should be an increased risk in Chengdu. I've got a reasonably decent, large camera, and it's hung off my shoulder on many a walk through many a city in China. But, I definitely play it safe, and try to be as aware of my surroundings as possible. Take the precautions you deem necessary.

Edited by akdn

Chengdu is fine. They're not all thieves out there, you're insulting the people of Chengdu. You're just as likely to have your stuff nicked in London or New York.

Furthermore the shops there are full of expensive photography equipment, with so many wealthy Chinese around you'd probably find them commenting how old your gear is!

Fang xin ba!

Peter

Chengdu is fine. They're not all thieves out there, you're insulting the people of Chengdu

It's not insulting the people of CD to say watch out for thieves there - especially when the CD natives will tell you that themselves. It's also not insulting, b/c the thieves in CD often come from other cities and provinces, I won't name any, otherwise I'll be accused of insulting those people. If CD natives are cautious abt thieves, then it's naive for foreigners not to be. I agree with the poster who said be aware of your surroundings. That's the most important thing - knowing when you can relax, and when you need to be on guard. That's the best way to take care of your stuff and enjoy yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry my gear on my shoulder all the time, usually my camera strap isn't even on and i'm just holding my camera with my extra gear in a shoulder bag. Can't wait for my new black-rapid strap....

Anyway, never had an issue but I am pretty obvious with myself and then when I leave an area I tuck it away unless I plan on keep shooting and even going into some interesting areas, never had a problem. But then again, I look pretty fierce.

• 7 months later...

my cell phone got stolen at the train station in Henan province, pick pocket'd.

you want to have you wallet and phone ZIPPED, not just in your pocket. I repeat ZIPPED UP. also, watch out because i've heard rumors of theives cutting bags at the train station.

i feel safe in chengdu city walking by myself at night, even with camera gear. i do not think i would get held up with a knife here and robbed of my equipment.. too many people always bustling around.

most important thing is to always be watchful and not careless, regardless of how tired or many bags you have. safety is most important. stay aware of your surroundings.