Chinese-Forums

Photography equipment in Chengdu

mikaelsacchi

Maybe be a bit more specific on what you are looking for.

I know of quite a few places that are quality and I purchase my equipment from but depending on what it is, you may be better off with taobao. So if you tell me exactly what you want, I can tell you exactly where I recommend getting it. :mrgreen:

数码广场 at the intersection of first ring road and ren min nan lu. the third floor is all photo equipment. if you don't find what you're looking for in one building go across the street and check the next. another huge floor with all photo gear.

Honeslty, if I am understanding the type of equipment you're looking for, the places that prodigal son recommended won't carry that type of equipment. It's really best if you tell us what you are looking for.

Are you looking for 500 watt flash bulbs with modeling lights, stands and softboxes? Or hot shoe flash? Hot shoes flashes are easy, you want anything else and you are gonna have to go to specific places.

• 7 months later...

I am also very interested in photography here in Chengdu. I know several wonderful photography shops and a professional development studio.

In Chengdu, on Hong Xing Lu 1 Duan, there is a shop about 100m on the left side of the road walking north from Dacisi lu (?). They develop film, make prints, and scan negatives. The quality of the scans is good and the turn around time is quick. 16rmb/scan/roll 35mm.

For professional prints, development you can visit 21 Professional. It is also near the corner of Hong Xing Lu 1 duan, and Dacisi (Parksons intersection). Walking East from that interesection on Dacisi , on the north side of the road, about 1 block from the intersection there is a group of stores, 31 Professional is located inside the building. You have to find a small enterance (usually a metal bike ramp up the stairs, about 50 feet from a small side street with metal barriers. also before the bus stop, i believe you can take 58 and 98 there). 31 professional is great. they do not sell camera supplies though, only film and development/prints/scans/services. they also have a website that can be found on google under '31 professional chengdu'

If you keep walking up Hong Xing lu, from the parksons intersection/Dacisi lu, about 200m, on the left side of the road, there will be many photography shops that sell 35mm, DSLR, any lens you can imagine, tripods. You can't miss it off Hong Xing. There is also a very good second hand camera shop that has mostly used 35mm slrs, but also Medium Format and Large Format. They can sell you any type of film you want, and the staff is super friendly. i reccomend them highly.

The place where i bought my camera is on Ying Men Kou lu, 营门口路 at 一环路北三段,the shop is on the north east corner of that intersection, on the second floor of a building. kinda of hard to find, but you will see a big yellow Nikon sign, find the stairs and go to the second floor. Here, you can buy any photography equipment you want. flash, bulds, tripods, dslr, slr, 35mm, MF, LF, film, they have everything. there is possibly 10 shops. i bought a used Nikon F100 here for 1700RMB. it works great except a broken DOF preview which has not been a problem.

Also, the pawn shop stores near Tai Shun Nan Lu (?) (cell phone area), sell user 35mm slrs and medium format 120 cameras for cheap.

hope that helps

Emery