Chinese-Forums

Pronoun 奴家

sukitc

Hi,

I am reading a novel 寻秦记 where the female character refers to herself as 奴家. My Pleco dictionary indicates that this is one way a young woman could refer to herself.

My question is whether this term is used at all in the modern setting (even for literary purpose). Also, given that 奴 also means slave, does the term has any deeper meaning? Thank you.

My question is whether this term is used at all in the modern setting (even for literary purpose).

No, AFAIK.

given that 奴 also means slave, does the term has any deeper meaning?

It's humbling oneself to use this term, a 謙稱. Similar terms include 鄙人, 小的 etc. And I think you can have your own interpretation here.

I believe that 奴才 is only used by Manchu officials when they called themselves in front of their emperors. Even Chinese (汉族) officials back them called themselves "臣,微臣,下官,卑职“ etc, as they didn't like the word 奴才...

Please don't call yourself 奴才 in any circumstance. It indeed has bad connotations!

On the other hand, "奴家" is a lot more neutral even though it also is a humble terms to address oneself. It's true that no Chinese woman today still calls herself 奴家. But if you are a lady, and you call yourself as that in front of your Chinese friends, I believe they'll be really impressed and amused! :)