Chinese-Forums

Studying Chinese in Shanghai at EF

missbrokensmile

I'd like to do a 4 week intensive course in Shanghai this Dec/Jan, and so I've been searching around for language schools.

I really want to improve my Chinese - all aspects, but mainly my writing. Do language schools focus mostly on speaking and listening and often use pinyin? Because I've been hearing things like that...

Has anyone heard anything about/been to the EF Language School in Shanghai? It's reputable and seems promising.

http://www.ef.com

I'd appreciate any comments/thoughts/opinions :D

I've attended one school in Beijing, so perhaps can comment. They would usually base the course around a textbook, and textbooks don't really teach pinyin as a formal version of written Chinese. They include pinyin, and lots of it in a beginners book, in order to teach pronounciation and to get over the fact that the student still hasn't memorized the characters. Pinyin is like the training wheels for Hanzi, but the courses expect you to take those wheels off once you move up to the middle levels.

Not sure why you'd really need a teacher for written Chinese though, can't you just in your own time go through the repetitive drills of writing the characters out?

4 weeks isn't a long time for a course. If it's one on one then you can get whatever you ask for, and whatever you ask for they will tell you they can give you ($$$). If you're planning on joining a group then it complicates matters, you will be stuck with the pre-arranged schedule, and need to start at the date they appoint.

(BTW, Chinese grade students do use pinyin too, the bookshops are full of kids books with hanzi alongside pinyin)

Edit: I guess by written you mean the written grammar, not just getting the characters right. But yeah, the textbook approach actually focuses more on written than oral. I've found it's getting the oral practice which is hard, you have to seek that outside the school.

Edited by HarryCallahan

Thanks for the comments! They're much appreciated ^^

Though, my post was badly phrased ^^;;;

My Chinese is okay. If you had to give it a level, I'd probably say I'm of an upper intermediate level? My reading and listening skills are really good, my speaking is okay, but my writing is dreadful. I mean, I can write characters fine, I've memorised several thousand, and I know how to use them in sentences and such. But, the problem with me is essay writing and creative writing, generally just any sort of long academic-type of written work. This is what I really want to improve on. Do you know if EF focuses on this?

The reason I asked whether or not they used a lot of pinyin was because I heard that many of these language courses solely use pinyin, and I don't want to join something that does not use Chinese characters. What are the textbooks like?

I know 4 weeks isn't long, but I think it would still help. Plus I'd be surrounded by Chinese 24/7 and that definitely would help as well. Also, I guess have an aptitude for languages? I generally learn and understand languages a lot faster than the average person.

I generally like group classes because it has structure. Structure is my friend. I find that with structure, I always get more done and it keeps me focused. And I could always include a 1-on-1 to compliment my group lessons.

So yeah... Do you think EF could still help me with what I'm after?

Or perhaps you have recommendations for other language courses (that are non-uni)?

You sound like you're way ahead of most students you'd find at these schools, certainly way ahead of me. I've heard you need about 800 characters to be fluent, you say you know a few thousand! You're writing long creative essays (badly you say, but still...).

Maybe you could sit in a class room full of Chinese students?

I'm suprised you've got to this level and are asking about textbooks and course contents. Read, read, read Chinese books would be my amateur advice. That's written Chinese by Chinese.

But don't these sorts of schools have beginner to advanced classes?

Yeah, even though I am writing essays, they are truly dreadful...

There is no way I could sit in a Chinese class with Chinese students. My Chinese isn't that good XD It'd probably be way too academic for me... All that classical literature and such... It'd probably be way out of my league, and I'd probably end up feeling depressed about my sub-par skills XD So before I do anything strenuous, I want to bring my writing up to speed, at least to the same level as my reading, writing, listening... XD When I first started learning Chinese, I focused on speaking, reading and listening, and neglected writing, hence my poor writing skills.

I feel like I'm lacking something. And I guess, I feel that taking a course in China would help me find what I lack/missed. I try to get my hands on as much material as possible to read/learn from, but that has limitations I guess? I've been listening to Chinese music, watching Chinese dramas/movies, reading Chinese books, writing diary entries and taking lessons; which have all helped me but I'm kind of at a loss of what to do next. Which is why I'd like to go to Shanghai to be utterly immersed in Chinese and learn something new...

Thanks for your input btw!

From what you've said - Shanghai, wanting to focus on a specific skill, not much time - I'd suggest you look at TLI. Pricey, but gets good reports and specializes in one to one or very small groups. Have a search on here, there's a fair amount of info about TLI in general, not sure about the Shanghai branch specifically.

I don´t think EF has this kind of level, most of the people I´ve met from EF-SH have moved to other schools (universities) because EF is way too expensive and students don´t have the "campus experience" I would recommend you a proper school in SH like Jiaotong University or Donghua university, both of them with a really convenient location.

I've attended the advanced courses at Jiaotong University. I can't say anything about the other levels, but as for the advanced level writing classes, there is quite a focus on content and structure, and not so much on the Chinese language itself. Personally, I found this to be a little bit of a shame, because this aspect of writing is not language specific, and as my formal English writing is fairly good, I didn't really need to learn all this again in Chinese.

You say your writing skills are poor. If you mean from a structural point of view, then you may be able to learn quite a lot from advanced university classes. On the other hand, if you mean forming Chinese sentences and writing characters is difficult for you, then perhaps university classes wouldn't be so suitable.

Anyway, this is just my personal experience with only having had one teacher for writing. Perhaps the classes are different at other places or with different teachers.