Chinese-Forums

Sometimes it's easy, other times... huh???

HarryCallahan

OK, lets put our differences aside.

So those translation questions above, are they for...

A) A Chinese person having their English ability tested.

B) A English person having their Chinese ability tested.

C) Both.

?

It's from 高考. It's basically for Chinese highschool students applying to college. Think the English SAT, but covers more subjects (but who nowdays doesn't take a bunch of SAT II specific subject tests). Basically the Chinese equivalent of SAT + SAT II.

EDIT: As mentioned, the English portion of the test is extremely easy comparing to the rest of the section (as it should be since it's a foreign language on a highschool level). Kind of like SAT II: Chinese is a very easy portion of the SAT test, if you choose to take it.

Makes sense with the poster being Chinese.

I could actually translate some myself, but I think going the other way (English->Chinese) would be harder. If I have the gist of the Chinese then, being an English speaker, can come up with nice English for it... though writing 'gist' style Chinese will not be very good Chinese!

Yeah, those are Chinese to English sentences (for exams in China for Chinese students)given Chinese to English translation = (the necessary number of prepositions and words in general)^3 + that horrid usage of 'so'. Which now explains why I heard the word 'so' as often as I did in China...cringe.

Edited by heifeng
to stay on topic and not pick fights with high schoolers..hehe

Though Chinese is our mother tongue, we learn it also by practising. Western teaching methods to learning CHinese doesn't work for CHinese, let alone for non-CHinese speakers.

I don't like such exaggerated mysticism.

Chinese is a language like any other. All languages have their peculiarities. You sit down and learn them. End of story.