Chinese-Forums

Where to live for a month near Wudaokou

tlevine

I'm going to be in Beijing for a month in a month and studying at That's Mandarin for about two-thirds of that month. That's Mandarin is supposed to be really close to the train station.

Where do you suggest that I stay? The Xijiao Hotel is reasonably close, but I suspect there's a slightly cheaper and closer place.

At this time of year it might be worth looking for a sublet - plenty of students are away for the summer, leaving rooms or entire apartments available. Should work out cheaper than a hotel, and you may even get some nice flatmates. Quick scout on thebeijinger.com turned up this and this - neither exactly what you want, but close enough to make me think you might find what you need.

There's also this recommendation from a couple of years back . . .

Edited by roddy

what is your budget?

I usually stay at a hotel that charges non-negotiable rates of 178 yuan including breakfast.This is a low-budget chain that also offers lunch and dinner for 15 yuan. If this is of interest I will dig out the details later. Staff only speaks Chinese. I have not heard of the xiaoji hotel.

I'll be in Beijing for a week or so in Sept/Oct. Last year, I tried several Youth Hostels around the country and was delighted with the general quality, service and prices.

At the time, I found leaflets on the Beijing Lama Temple Y H, lama_temple_hostel@yahoo.com.cn, and Beijing Lotus Hostel, lotushostel@yahoo.com.cn; www.lotushostel.cn. Any info on them, anybody? I wouldn't be surprised if they or similar places could offer good rates for longer stays.

For Youth Hostel experience, If I'll choose Chengdu for a couple of months of private tutoring next year, I sure will start at Sim's Cozy Garden Hostel.

On "Youth": I retired last year at 65.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Looks to be quite expensive (at least 600 USD) judging from a quick online search, but perhaps other posters here will know where to get better rates. It is right next to BLCU, after all.

If this should prove too expensive, you might want to look into the Peking University (no affiliation) International Youth Hostel, which is a ten-minute walk from Wudaokou subway station. I stayed there for two weeks in November in a double room, which was about 180 RMB a day. Admittedly, I didn't have a private bathroom, but I didn't really care either. Rooms have a TV set and pretty comfortable beds. But there's no bowling alley, unlike the Xijiao hotel :wink:

I tried the Lotus Hostel (see post #4). A nice place and very helpful staff. I freely admit, though, that walking from there to Wudaokou and back most every day for a month would be slightly more than what I at my age would prefer. But I found the bus quite acceptable.

Getting a bike will open up your options. Decent one for just over $20 and you can always sell it off. I seem to always end up waiting 15 minutes for the right bus.

*A little of topic if you're not sub renting an apartment, but does anyone know how much utilities cost roughly per month? Everyone seems to be talking about utility cards and I just want to budget if they say it is included in the price of an apartment.

You can also hire a bike from the newspaper stand near the West Gate of BLCU, which is darn cheap, and their bikes are pretty good. I think I paid 30 RMB for a month, and a 180 RMB deposit which was promptly refunded when I returned the bike. Also, if there are any problems, you can just go back and exchange your bike.

I made it all the way to Baiwanzhuangdajie on my little bike, good times.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone!

I am looking for a flatmate. The apartment is located at the Huaqingjiayuan complex of Wudaokou (1' from the subway and 15' from BLCU). It is a big, modern apartment (100sqm), with 2 bedrooms, 1 big living room, 1 bathroom (with shower and a Jacuzzi bathtub), 1 kitchen, 3 A/C, 2 TV and DVD player. 

Thanks! ;)