Chinese-Forums

Traditional Subtitles - Mandarin and Cantonese

tacoface

Hello,

I have a question as regards to subtitles in movies. I recently bought The Simpsons Movie from YesAsia, and I got it and it has Mandarin dub, as I wanted. All good. However, I also wanted to have the traditional character subtitles and not the simplified ones for the Mandarin.

And here's my query.

On the back of the DVD it says for subtitles, CANTONESE and MANDARIN. Am I to assume that the Canto has the trad and the mando has the simp? Because if that is so I will be very disappointed. The store said subtitles in traditional, so I assumed that they would be traditional for mando as well. Or is there some link with mando and canto where they can use the same chars but use diff pronunciation?

I'm lost.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Seems that you have some misunderstanding. Both mandarin and cantonese can be written in either the traditional script or the simplified script (so 4 combinations there).

The store said subtitles in traditional,

If this is what the store said, and you can't find it in the dvd, then complain and demand for a replacement or a refund.

Are there any DVDs that have selectable cantonese subtitles (real Cantonese, not HK Mandarin)? The only Cantonese subtitles I have seen are burned-in subtitles. Also, why do any movies have Cantonese subtitles? I assume that some people must prefer them otherwise they would not exist. Is that correct?

Am I to assume that the Canto has the trad and the mando has the simp?

Those do not correlate. When watching a DVD you may choose to have any audio and any subtitle track playing in any combination that you wish. The only relation may be some slang or translational variations that are written if the idea is not the same as spoken in the respective languages.

Am I to assume that the Canto has the trad and the mando has the simp?
This is what I would assume, as Cantonese subtitles are pretty rare (from what I've seen). But the only way to find out is to either ask the store, or put on the dvd and see what you get.

I've never seen a Korean movies dubbed in Mardarin without both traditional and simplified. I buy the ones that have an English audio and subtitle option, Hong Kong Movies sometimes have both Cantonese and Mandarin Audio as well tradtional and English subtitles. Shop around, shop around, dirt cheap in chinatown.