Chinese-Forums

Why do most Mainland-based websites use very small font?

Ian_Lee

Can anybody tell me why do most Mainland-based websites (government, university, private,......etc) like to use very small font?

Most of the time I feel headache after watching for 10 minutes.

Why can't they use larger fonts like those Taiwan and HK-based websites do?

The other thing that really annoys me about so many Chinese websites, is the way every click opens into a new window! Before you know where you are you have about twenty new windows!

Why? :conf

• 2 weeks later...

i like smaller font, it give the webpage the ability to contain more content without scrolling too much, and for some reason, the characters look ugly, especially simplified, when the font is large, so that's maybe the reason why they use smaller font, hk is using smaller font now also, tw continue to use bigger font, i think it's ok to use a slighly bigger font for traditional characters, but still not too big;

for mainland sites, things that i dislike about them is that they contain too much rubbish ads and yes, those new windows and pop ups (extremely excessive compared to foreign sites), give me a break!

i didn't mean hk is using the same size as cn, just smaller; (=_=")

however, the font size used in the 3 sites are very similar, with the mainland one a bit smaller; they are all considered small fonts, i remember long time ago, chinese sites used way much bigger fonts which i think were ugly;

maybe simplified can use smaller font to avoid too much "spaces"; traditional need bigger font to avoid black "blocks", just my thoughts.