Chinese-Forums

A New China, All Things Considered...

murrayjames

Is anyone here familiar with the Princeton University Press series? Books like "A New China", "All Things Considered", "Anything Goes", etc.

The books are readers at an Intermediate to Advanced level. Probably too much for me at the moment... I'm wondering if anyone has firsthand experience.

Fantastic series. I used them in my second year learning Chinese and really took off with it. The ones you quoted are beginner/intermediate, but search their catalog for others. Finding advanced stuff is hard and eventually you have to leave textbooks behind and just go native.

Yeah, wow. They have quite a few. Including an advanced reader on Modern Chinese Cinema from last year. That's neat.

There's no audio, right? It looks like the text/vocab are in both simplified and traditional. Is that true of the grammar and exercises too?

There's a book in the series for heritage speakers which might work ok if you've been learning for a while without much emphasis on characters.

There IS audio, but it's very hard to get. Unis that use the textbooks (eg SOAS in London) should have the audio in their language labs, and might be prepared to copy them for you (perhaps especially if you buy the book from their bookshop...)

I agree they are great books. One thing I love is that they go overkill on the vocabulary listings... saves much time I'd much rather already know 2/3 of the vocabulary than have to look up charactes/words from the text.

Edited by roddy

• 1 year later...

hi all,

went to a few bookstores around nanjing but haven't been able to find anyone carrying the princeton series. nothing in the big chinese online bookstores either. does anyone know where i can pick these books up in china? also, these seem a bit pricey; any decent alternatives available with the same sort of topics in the advanced levels, ie social issues, history, etc? many thanks. :)

any decent alternatives available with the same sort of topics in the advanced levels, ie social issues, history, etc? many thanks. :)

You can probably find the BLCU (北京语言大学) books in Nanjing and some of them are quite good. (some not so good as well).