Chinese-Forums

Suggestions for Cantonese immersion programs?

jennyw

I was born in the U.S. but my family spoke Cantonese at home when I was little. I can still speak a little bit now, but not very well. I'd like to take participate in an immersion program to improve my Cantonese, and was wondering if people had suggestions for programs. I'm open to China, Hong Kong, or other places. Ideally, I'm looking for a program that's geared towards seriously learning the language (e.g. not for tourists).

I'm interested in long term programs, too, not just ones that last for 4 weeks. If anyone can recommend any programs, that'd be great!

Thanks!

jw

Hi Jenny,

I studied at HKLLC in 2004 for 6 weeks. My work was paying for it. I couldn't say it is 100% immersion, but in a formal setting its the only place that I know of.

The staff are excellent and will try to customize the class (when I was there my class was only 5 students and held every morning for 4 hours. On top of this I took 1 hour private lesson 3 times a week to help with pronunciation.

Being in HK has its advantages that there is plenty to do and see, and opportunity to speak Cantonese everywhere, but also the disadvantage that you will use your English a lot if you are stuck.

So depending on the length of time you want to study, here's what I'd reccomend. Start at your local Community College, learn the basics, learn the tones again (may not be relevant for you but that's what I did). Then go to either HK, or better still Guangzhou.

In Guangzhou you could either find your own language teacher (very easy to find a qualified teacher), or go to an established school and tell them what you want. The latter will be cost you a bucketload more, so it depends on how much time (and money) you want to use. Being in Guangzhou will force you to use your Cantonese more, as not as many people speak English.

By the way here is the direct link to thier teaching method page:

http://www.hkllc.com/index1.asp?page=TEACHI~1