Chinese-Forums

English words for commerce

semantic nuance

A friend of mine asked me to translate something related to commerce, but I don't know much about it, so I'd like to ask for help here.

Is it natural to use 'appreciate' when we talk about exchange rate as in 'the appreciation of exchange rate of xx dollars against us dollars"? If not, what word/words would be better?

Also, are there any differences among words---impact, effect, and effectiveness?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by semantic nuance

Yes it is appropriate. Appreciation here talks about an increase in value, and is the opposite of depreciation.

In answer to your other questions, "impact" can be thought of as a forceful consequence or a strong effect. Effectiveness refers to how well something was able to do what it was supposed to do.

Thanks! But rate is like ratio, using appreciation / appreciate won't be a bit strange? I mean increased value in currency sounds ok to use appreciation, but the increased rate should use rising /rise? 我的意思是說貨幣的對比才有貶或升(值), 但是比率這個詞用升值這個字不會很怪嗎? Or my take is wrong?:D Thanks!

You could use rising, but I think appreciate sounds better as it is commonly use for assets and financial terms.

I think it's acceptable to use it like this, but if you really don't want to use appreciate with rate you could just as well write:

the appreciation of the xx dollar against the US dollar.

Something appreciates or depreciates when it gains or loses value. The value of XX currency appreciated with respect to YY, or currency XX appreciated against YY.

I'm not sure if exchange rate can appreciate. It doesn't have any value. Exchange rate can rise or fall.

But I don't work in the financial sector, it might be acceptable, just sounds a bit strange.

I agree with imron. "Appreciate" and "depreciate" are frequently used to describe movements in exchange rates.

However, you only use these words to describe the movements of floating currencies (i.e., which are caused by market forces), and not for currencies which are fixed/pegged. For example, it would be inappropriate to say that the renminbi has appreciated against the dollar, whilst it is perfectly fine to say that the euro has appreciated against the dollar.