Chinese-Forums

Chinese study group in Beijing

storyline

Dear all,

We won't have a meeting on Aug. 5, but the next one on Aug. 12 should not be missed! Because we'll focus on all the "forbidden", fruit or otherwise. :lol:

Next Meeting:

"TABOOS!"- The vices, sins, superstitions, and the forbidden in Chinese culture (It's just as important to know what NOT to say or do as what to say or do!)

Time: Wed. Aug 12, 7-9pm (*no meeting on Aug. 5!)

Place: Bridge Cafe (1, Bldg 12, Huaqingjiayuan, Chengfu Lu, West of Wudaokou subway station.) Check first around the sofa area on the 3F, and look for a table with a "Mandarin" sign and friendly faces. :D

Chinese speaking time: 50%+, or we try :mrgreen:

So bring your favorite stories or observations of "no-nos" to the meeting, and it just may spare you a couple of embarrassments down the road. See you there!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

Our next meeting will be on Sep. 2! It's been a busy month for me with a college theatre festival, so apologies for the schedule irregularity.

We're going back to the essential: What are the Top 10 things you need to learn for the life in China in general, and in Beijing in particular? Come with your funny and horror stories!

Next Meeting:

"Top 10 Things to Learn to Live in Beijing (Without Losing Your Sanity!) :mrgreen: - Things you need to say to get things done"

Time: Wed. Sep. 2, 7-9pm

Place: Bridge Cafe (1, Bldg 12, Huaqingjiayuan, Chengfu Lu, West of Wudaokou subway station.) Check first around the sofa area on the 2F, and look for a table with a "Mandarin" sign and friendly faces.

Charge: Free! Pay for your order if you do order

So bring your favorite stories to the meeting: from dealing with the landlord to battling the traffic to fending off English enthusiasts, as well as everything you love about this amazing city. We will talk!

Hi chawke,

I'm sorry you couldn't find us. We were at the 2nd floor sofa area with a paper sign on the table. We were there from 7:07 till 9:15.

Next time I'll tell the waiters at the door to direct anyone who asks about a "Chinese Study Group". And perhaps a bigger sign for the table? :)

Hope you'd give us another try!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I just arrived in Beijing a couple of days ago. I am studying Chinese at Beijing Foreign Studies University (Bei Wai) for a year. This sounds like a great way to supplement my Chinese language learning. I will definitely try to attend the next session. Where exactly are you guys meeting? I can't find it on my Beijing map. :conf

The bridge is a very popular "study cafe" in wudaokou. I'm not sure where your university is located. The address for the place is written above.

If you look at your map find Wudaokou (五道口) subway station first. From there follow Chengfu road to the west. The first intersection, go south on Caijing East road (财经东路). If you walk on that street you will see it. All the well known places are on that road. Like Lush, Pyro's Pizza, Propaganda and some other stuff. It's on the second floor but there is a big sign. The place is called Bridge Coffee (桥咖啡)

If you're in wudaokou area, ask foreigners they will definitely know where it is.

Dear all,

Our next meeting will be on Sep. 23! We're settling into a monthly affair now and I hope it works out for your schedule too. For the next one I'm moving it up a week so we don't clash with the National holiday.

The topic for our next meeting is none other than everyone's favorite: FOOD! From Beijing snacks to regional cuisines (Sichuan etc.) we will have plenty of food for thought. :wink: We'll also have dinner while we're at it!

For the discussion we'll try to cover:

1) Top 10 dishes you must know(, and try, to justify having been to China)

2) Chinese dining etiquette

3) Chinese dietary philosophy

Bring your favorite menu, recipe, or stories to share. We will have a printout of related vocabulary and expressions, plus what I can find on the above topics.

Next Meeting:

"Chinese Food and Food in Chinese!"

Time: Wed. Sep. 23, 6:30-9pm

Place: T6 Hot Pot Restaurant (3F, Bldg 12 Huaqing Jiayuan, Chengfu Lu, Haidian District) across the street from the Wudaokou subway station. It's above Pyro; go pass a Korean (also hot pot) restaurant on the 2nd floor to the 3rd, and tell the hostess "table 31".

Charge: Talking is free! We'll share the dinner cost for one big hot pot.

So come hungry and ready! See you there!

Edited by storyline

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear all,

Sorry for the lapse, but the group is back for 2010! For fun and focused Mandarin practice, join us for the next meeting:

"New Year's Resolution"

How to make those perennial goals (but we'll reach them this year for sure!), and talk about life goals in general, in Chinese? I will bring a list by my Chinese friends to get a taste of what Chinese people wish for looking ahead. We will also do some "year in review" for 2009.

Time: Wed. Jan. 13, 7-9pm

Place: Bridge Cafe (1, Bldg 12, Huaqingjiayuan, Chengfu Lu, West of Wudaokou subway station.) Check first around the sofa area on the 3F, and look for a table with a "Mandarin" sign and friendly faces. But we could be anywhere in the cafe.

Chinese speaking time: 80%+, or we try :mrgreen:

So bring your 2010 resolutions and maybe even concrete steps for achieving them (like how to speak Chinese better? :wink:) and we will talk. Happy New Year!