Chinese-Forums

Chinese study group in Beijing

storyline

Alright, then tomorrow at 5pm at the Starbucks on the other side of the road from the Lotus center.

I'm the white guy with long brown hair and a beard. There aren't too many people around that look like this, so you should be able to find me :) Don't just not show up! :P

Everybody else is very much invited to drop by too! It'd be great if you'd write in here that you'll drop by, so we can expect you :)

I'd like to meet some of you and study but the 5:00pm timeframe doesn't work for me. I need to pick up my daughter at daycare at 5:00.

I'll keep checking this thread but please let me know if a future late morning or early afternoon group meeting is arranged.

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris, just propose a time and ask if that works for somebody. I'm sitting here and am bored most of the time anyway, and I'm always happy to meet new people.

As for tomorrow: If you have time after you picked up your daughter, maybe you can come then? Or bring your daughter too - I'm good with children! ;D

Thanks for the suggestions to meet later... alas, my wife works full-time and doesn't get home until after 6:00 so we're busy from the time I pick up my daughter until she goes to bed.

I'll definitely keep watching this thread for alternate meet times.

Thanks,

Chris

phyrex,

I read that you had mentioned Sunday. Works for me too. Saturdays? Wife is attending classes all day on Saturdays. Going to a study group would keep me out of trouble.

I come to town on M, W, F mornings and attend classes in Dongzhimen. Finish at noon. Meeting earlier than 5pm works for me too.

Are we allowed to speak English during this time, or is it all Chinese? I vote for all Chinese, and defaulting to wild gesturing when not knowing what to say.

I'd say I'm an advanced beginner with intermediate aspirations.

Well, I vote for mostly English. No offense, but I don't care too much about hearing non-native Chinese ;) And it's not like we're so hard pressed to find native conversation partners in Beijing, that we have to resort to speaking do each other, do we? :)

That being said, nobody will stop you (quite the contrary) if you say "I'd like to meet with like-minded laowai on a Saturday morning (to stay out of trouble) to speak Chinese to each other" :)