Chinese-Forums

Teaching English in Chengdu

misubi

Hi All,

I'm a Chinese-American (born and raised in the states) trying to find a part/full time teaching position with adults in Chengdu right now. I've experienced some reverse discrimination from companies who once I tell them over the phone I am an overseas Chinese, they vaguely reply they are looking for foreign teachers which I take to mean "white face."

My primary motivation to find a job is to attain a work visa for at least 6 months or more but do not wish to sign up to work 1 year contract. How realistic am I? Any leads on good schools who might be flexible and open minded to work with me? I think I would make an enthusiastic teacher which Chinese students would feel comfortable talking to (I speak some Mandarin), but so far the leads haven't been too encouraging.

Elliott

Discrimination against ethnic Chinese is not unusual for recruiters, but less common for reputable schools. I would recommend approaching any 'Project 211' university in the vicinity directly, and skipping online ads (and skipping 'language schools'). Most are contactable via an 'International Office' contact on the website, call them by telephone too, since a lot of administration offices don't check their emails all that much.

If university is too young for you, there are some adult-orientated schools, but the choice might be thin, and they'd usually operate under a franchise, leading to variable quality of employment. If you're committed to Chengdu and adult teaching, why not pop over to Chengdu on a cheap, effective, 3 month Chinese language study program and figure the local scene out?

I'm a Chinese-American (born and raised in the states)
I tell them over the phone I am an overseas Chinese

If you don't have an accent and are truly native speaker then it's worth trying, after all you're really just an American, maybe don't even mention your Chinese background.

I know some schools want the English looking and speaking teachers but not all. I met a Chinese looking American in Shanghai who was teaching English at a university no problem.

I think it can also be much more difficult finding positions to teach adults no matter what your ethnic background.

My suggestion is find a university position, and when you are there you can look for opportunities to teach adults.

Good luck

Thanks for all the advice. I hadn't thought about teaching at a university before and it sounds very appealing. How does working in a university environment differ from a private school? I assume they are still looking for oral English teachers. But is it more formalized as far as lessons go and less relaxed as you would become part of the official school faculty? I do have a Master's degree but in the sciences, so am unsure how this would affect my chances of finding work at a university.

If you want to teach adults you could do business English training. Some big companies (such as oil companies) need you to teach their Employees English, or at least polish their skills since they need to use English to communicate w/ people around the world. I don't know about Chengdu, but in Beijing there seem to be companies looking for people to do this at one of those foreigner type job fairs and they offered visas. I am guessing that since they aren't necessarily trying to put on a show for the public, they wouldn't care if you were an ABC, etc...

maybe don't even mention your Chinese background

Bad idea. The school would most likely find a reason to fire him or breech the contract. Then he'd be left in the middle of China with no where to go and no one to turn to for help.

Most Chinese are too skeptical and untrusting of their fellow countrymen/women to accept ABC's. They always assume that the school is trying to cheat them.

OP, your best bet is to be as upfront with your situation as possible. Most schools will not want to hire you, but some will. Now is a great time to apply for jobs as schools throughout the country are hiring for the Fall term.

Yea, kdavid is probably right, let 'em know about your ethnic background up front. Fact is, most places will probably want to see a scan of your passport before they issue an invitation letter for your visa.

Having a Masters in Science shouldn't be a problem. It wasn't for me.

Teaching in university for me was rather informal and most of the other teachers felt the same. Actually we felt there was a lack of structure and we weren't always sure exactly what it was they wanted us to teach. I've never taught in private schools, but I think their classes are much more structured.

From time to time, the university asked us to do some extracurricular activities(judge a speech contest, etc.), but I usually had fun doing these things and they always fed me well.

Odds are you'll be teaching oral English but sometimes you may have to also teach writing classes. Also they will probably want you to sign a one year contract.

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Im looking to study Chinese in Chengdu next year, and maybe teach English...What would people suggest I do to get started? I have never taught English before, but I have been studying Chinese for some time already. Do I need to get a TOEFL certificate before I try to move forward in this?

• 5 months later...