Chinese-Forums

Difference between 选 and 挑

realmayo

Hi, can anyone help me understand when to use 选 versus 挑 (and 选择 versus 挑选)? At one time, I thought I had it nailed, but then ran into several apparent contradictions or exceptions.... Thanks! :)

PS I assume this is the right forum, rather than the vocabulary one (I thought I had it nailed, ...!)

This is not an easy question to answer with precision. In my understanding basic differences in meaning between the two verbs are:

挑选 means to pick among a variety, 从若干人或事物中找出适合要求的: 同于 挑拣,近义词 选择, it refers to one's ability to make a good choice in a difficult situation

从所有的服装当中,她挑选了一件粉红色的参加宴会 She picked a red dress for the banquet from among her clothes

奖品为随意挑选出来的前三人所得 Prizes were picked from the first three out of the hat

有人递给他一张单子,告诉他可以任意挑选这儿有的饮料 He was given a list and told he could pick of the drinks available

我决定不了挑选哪个好 I don't know which of the two to choose

挑心爱的买 buy what you like

两者都坏,不值一挑 Between two evils better choose none

选择 means to choose in general, make a selection, make a choice & I think 挑选 can't be used to replace 选择 in:

这学期你选什么课? 我想选法语和经济

他放退选法语课,选读英语课

买什么书,一定要慎重选择

There's also 选择 as noun:

经过认真的选择,我们班有六名同学将参加学校的美术兴趣小组

我除了接受该项提议之外,别无选择。 I had no choice but to accept the offer

他在两项选择之间觉得无所适从 He was torn between two choices

他们只能要这一个,没有选择的余地 They had to accept this, they had no choice.

BTW, 选 is also the word for 'elections'

句库 examples:

挑选

选择

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It turns out that 挑 is a sort of 选 with extra stronger emotion.

Generally,选 just means make a choice,make a decision.

你选哪一个?

Which one do you choose.(It's time to make a choice,and among those,which one do you want to pick up?)

and 挑 means you make considerations to choose sth to make the result best.

他想挑一个太太们听了不会脸红的词儿。

He sought for a word that should not offend the ladies'ears.(He wants to be polite ,so he must pick up a word carefully to avoid offending the ladies) .

But it is not so easy to say that.Some typic situations to use 挑 can be concluded .

1.When sb do choocing(like buy sth),he can take his time to find the one that make the best result:

When I buy tomatoes,I always try to pick the red ones.

我买西红柿时总是挑红的。

Let me pick out some good ones for you.

让我来替你挑几个好的。

She picked up a dress appropriate for the occasion.

她挑了一件适合该场合穿的衣服。

2.To emphasize there are many alternatives.

That store has a good selection of furniture.

那家店有很多家具可供挑选 。

There was a big choice of hotels in the small seaside town.

这个海滨小镇上有好多旅店可供挑选。

3.To emphasize the fact that sb has maximum freedom to make the choice.

You may choose at will.

你可以任意挑

Of course I'll lend you a pen. Take your pick.

我当然可以借给你钢笔用. 自己挑吧.

Here are ten books in English, take your pick.

这里有十本英文书,你挑吧。

4.To find sth unproper。

The boss said my report was perfect. He couldn't find fault with anything.

老板说我的报告很完美,他挑不出毛病

The truth is, I can find no fault with you.

事实是,我挑不出你一点儿毛 病

It does not mean 选 can't be used in those situations(except the last situation),just 挑 expressing more emotion.And in the case of that you are asked to make a choice ,选should be used,and 挑 can't be used like 选课。or

Which anwser do you choose?

你选哪个答案?

I choose A。

我选A。.

挑 is a sort of 选 with extra stronger emotion.

Too bad it is an exaggeration and not a real answer. As expressed before the difference lies more in the type of choice.

means to pick among a variety

This is probably the best distinction between them. 挑 means to pick.

It may be an exaggeration but it's a very helpful one indeed, it helps to distinguish the two differences in meaning in my head.

Would this be correct:

a) in the first exam, which is multiple-choice, you must answer A, B, C, or D. This would be 选.

B) in the second exam, you have to write an essay: there are three possible essay subjects to choose from, you must choose just one to write about. This would be 跳 (and maybe 选 too).

Right?

a) in the first exam, which is multiple-choice, you must answer A, B, C, or D. This would be 选.

B) in the second exam, you have to write an essay: there are three possible essay subjects to choose from, you must choose just one to write about. This would be 跳 (and maybe 选 too).

This is absolutely my case in exams, couldn't agree more, haha. :)

• 12 years later...

This thread was the first one that popped up in a generic search for the difference between the two. After reading this, and asking around it seems

挑選 Used if you make a selection from a wide variety of choices and you also have a few choices. Also conveys a stronger emotion and also slightly more formal. 

選擇 Can be used more specifically in choosing one or two of something from a small limited number in a group.