Chinese-Forums

Review on Witopia and other "Anti-Wall" apps

zozzen

I'm having trouble with witopia that I think may be related to the supplicant issue you're discussing. I'm at BNU. I can access blocked sites through webbased workarounds like xb browser, but witopia is having trouble. Does anyone know if this is the case or if others at BNU are having a similar problem? I'm hoping there's another fix since I don't have an extra computer handy.

From what I understand is that Freegate is completely blocked at the moment.

I'm trying to use a free VPN service, but somehow it's not working in public hotspots. Does anyone have any confirmed ways to get to blocked websites? That you can even use at public hotspots?

Thnx Gato, xB seems to work. XB are also my initials, looks like destiny :)

But it's a free 30 days and after you have to pay.

Are there any free VPN that work? Not trying to be cheap, but I only need it for 5 monts, so don't want to pay for a full year.

It seems to work a bit slow, the trial version. It's fine as it works in a separate browser. So now I have xB running for the websites I are blocked and opera for regular websites. fb seems not to work completely on it, but it might be due to a slow connection or something. But for now I have 30 days surfing the web with no restrictions. Thanks again

Supposedly, Mento Supplicant (a replacement for Ruijie) can address a number of problems that Ruijie has, including VPN and maybe bandwidth quota. Give it a shot.

http://bbs.ghtt.net/viewthread.php?tid=52172

锐捷supplicant认证程序Mento Supplicant for Ruijie (installation instruction in Post #8)

Mento can be downloaded here:

http://cid-533ebd7962189592.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Slyar%20Download/Slyar%5E_Mento%20Supplicant.rar

Mento Supplicant

If that doesn't work, maybe try this:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/vpn-cuts-off-network-authorization-software-please-help-t365960.html

VPN cuts off Network Authorization software - Please Help

@blink how does the blocking occur? Are you also required to run network authentication software (like Ruijie Supplicant)? If so, check the links provided by gato.

If it's unrelated to network authentication software it may be that they are blocking the standard VPN ports. If this is the case you should look at changing the default ports (see Witopia's help page here). You can configure Witopia's VPN so that it runs over TCP on port 443. This is the exact same protocol/port used for secure websites (https). So the connection will look as if it is merely a web connection to a secure site, rather than a VPN connection. This was part of the reason I mentioned above about the economic ramifications of disabling all secure connections. It would basically put an end to e-commerce if they had to shut down all of them.

Freegate 6.88 is still having problems. It finds it very difficult to find servers and, if it does find any, quickly loses them again. This is the same problem which started affecting 6.86 about a week ago.

Prior to that it had very few problems.

Edited by liuzhou

Here's another data point from the dorms at Tsinghua: although I was able to connect to Witopia and access Facebook, etc. for a while, the connection went down after a couple of minutes and the computer had to be restarted to get back on line. This experience was repeated often enough for me to think it has to be more than a coincidence. Right now I'm using Witopia with no issues from a hotel in Beijing, so I can confirm that there appears to be some kind of anti-VPN technology at work in the universities. I'm going to try connecting over an alternate port tomorrow.

Kind of an odd side note but is anybody else unable to access this site through witopia {it's blocked now in China- don't honestly know why just happened one day}. It's odd cause I can access it through freegate {when that actually connects} but not on witopia. Kind of an irregularity- tried on both mac and windows.