Chinese-Forums

Shenzhen University vs. Zhongshan University

joshuawbb

Hi there,

After my course here in Xiamen finishes next summer, I hope to do my BA degree here in China. My options so far have been stay here in Xiamen University or apply for Zhongshan University instead, and to be honest I like the look of Zhongshan University, even if I've only seen it's league table place so far.

But due to a very serious situation with my girlfriend and her family, I want to take Shenzhen University into consideration - well, I want to learn all I can about it. From what I've seen in other posts I know not many people may be in Shenzhen here, but if it's possible I really want to find out from people's opinion what studying for a BA in Shenzhen University would be vs. Zhongshan University in Guangzhou.

The situation I mentioned aside, my plan is to get my BA here in China and then see about getting a master's degree back in the UK. I know that Shenzhen University is probably far lower than Zhongshan University so I already know there isn't much comparison, but I want to ask:

-With my plan in mind, how detrimental to my career would studying at Shenzhen University be if I chose it against Zhongshan University? Could it damage my prospects?

-Would there be any less chance of successfully landing a master's degree course in the future, if I chose Shenzhen?

Just a note to my parents who might be reading this too: I'm not considering doing anything rash at all - no need to worry. Just learning about both sides of the matter.

I am always very grateful for everyone's help, thank you.

Depends on the career, but probably no less detrimental than doing your BA in mainland China in the first place.

You might also consider universities in Hong Kong, which is just a hop-skip and jump away from Shenzhen and is likely to provide a much higher standard of education.

Thank you for your advice - if I were to study in Hong Kong, do you think it would be wise to study Mandarin there? If I were to go there, then I'm not really so sure what I would study. Generally, my mind is a little muddled recently after what's happened between my girlfriend, her family and I - long story short, she's in Shenzhen and there's no changing that now. I've already told her it's unlikely I can come to Shenzhen and study, but want to look into it anyway.

I know some people have said to me too, that doing my BA here in China may or may not be ideal. Which specific ways would it be detrimental to my career? There were two ideas I and my family were building on really - firstly, doing my BA here in China and building a future with my girlfriend here, or otherwise my family and I were of the opinion that doing both language study and then a BA study in China could give a lot more opportunities at home, in a career field involving Chinese. For both reasons, attending the best possible university seemed very important.

What actual BA are you looking at doing? A non-native speaker orientated BA in Chinese, or an actual BA in something else after a year or two of language study?

I'm not sure there's much point in worrying about rankings if you're talking about applying to courses or jobs overseas. Except for those with considerable knowledge of China's education sector, the mental rankings in the heads of recruitment staff probably go like this

1= Peking, Tsinghua - heard of these, presumably good.

2= All other universities in China.

You're more likely better off looking at which universities have a reputation for being good at teaching whatever it is you want to study.

I think the best advice at the moment is probably to get your head down and start getting a decent year of language study under your belt.

do you think it would be wise to study Mandarin there?
No less so than in Guangzhou. I'm sure you can receive a decent Mandarin education in either location, however in both places, the local language is Cantonese.

The other factor you have to consider is that if you do decide to change your plans and study in Shenzhen, can you guarantee that your girlfriend will still be there? It would be unfortunate if you changed your plans and switched to a lower-tier university only to find out at the last minute that your girlfriend was then back in Xiamen or elsewhere.

Also, what is it that you are hoping for in a career? You mentioned you aim to be studying Mandarin, but for what purpose? To go into translation, business, international relations/foreign affairs? Whatever you choose, I expect you will find a more rigorous and more internationally accepted standard of education in HK.

I'm looking to do a BA alike what natives would take, most likely in the humanities field somewhere - I was looking at Chinese Language itself first but I don't know if that's too broad a subject. The sort of BA that requires HSK 6, or a certain proficiency, which is why I am studying the language here first before my degree.

My biggest concern is about potential to carry on and do a master's degree, which I and my girlfriend too hope to do in the UK sometime. Perhaps each individual university in the UK has it's own requirements and opinion as to what is a "good" bachelor degree and "good", recognised university. I'm contacting some of them for a general opinion.

Though it's likely as she is in a rather solid company job, I can't guarantee that she will still be there and that was something I was considering too. To be honest from the start things were all pointing against going to Shenzhen and I don't feel it's too likely, but I want to learn more about it. As you said, it certainly would be unfortunate to switch choices and find out there was a sudden change regarding her location. The reason why that seems unlikely though is partly due to her family though, which is keeping her stable in the job.

As for a career, I'm not 100% certain but you've described the fields I want to go in - one of them, I'm just not too sure yet. I'm sure this first year in Xiamen will make all that much clearer.

GZ to SZ - 50 mins and 80 bucks on the train. Chinese U in HK is even closer to Shenzhen, but entrance requirements are pretty high I believe. Also it has been reported that a number of mainlanders even commute from Shenzhen to Chinese U in HK these days taking advantage of HK education and Shenzhen's cost of living.