Chinese-Forums

The Transcribing and Subtitle thread

renzhe

EDIT: Split off from the 奋斗 thread. Here, people can co-ordinate the making of transcripts and subtitles for 奋斗 in particular, or Chinese shows in general.

There is a transcript for the first episode, and atitarev typed up the transcript for the second episode. Other than that, we haven't located any.

The easiest way to look for transcripts would be to put some of the conversations we've typed up (linked in the first post as "Language") into google and see if it finds something.

Typing up a transcript is gruelling work. If you really do it and make them available, it would be a great service, but don't let it burn you out.

Edited by renzhe

definitely hard work transcribing ... took me about three hours just to do 20 minutes. but I'm surprised how useful I found the process. assuming I keep going, and I do hope to, I'll post the transcript here. (it will be episode 6.)

half of China seems to have seen this show (the younger half I guess), and for some reason they all chuckle when I say I'm watching it. it reminds me of Hong Lou Meng -- only in that I find I'm expected to say which of the characters I like most.

for what it's worth, 杨晓芸 is for me the most sympathetic character, and 向南 seems okay too. I need to avoid my eyes wandering to the spoilers later in this thread though, just saw renzhe and zhen_shuai dissing them both! currently find 陆涛 a bit of a prick and his silly girlfriend too wishy-washy....

definitely hard work transcribing ... took me about three hours just to do 20 minutes. but I'm surprised how useful I found the process. assuming I keep going, and I do hope to, I'll post the transcript here. (it will be episode 6.)

Hey, great work, 加油! I'm sure people out there will find it useful.

And yeah, everyone saw this, but it was a show meant for the 80后 crowd, older people don't really like it that much, but they've all seen it. For us learners, it doesn't really matter: although there are better dramas out there, the learning aspect is really good, and it's watchable.

I've done a fairly rough and ready transcript for episode 6.

I've put it on google docs: Struggle 6 v1

I haven't checked it properly, I'm sure there are lots of mistakes, both in the Chinese and in terms of who's saying what. If anyone finds the transcript useful and wants to make any corrections, please do so in an editable version of the transcript, also at google docs: Struggle 6 v2.

Hope someone finds it useful! Next up, episode 7 ....

note: page three of this thread is where renzhe put up the summary, vocab and key conversations for this episode.

ZhenShuai -

I might not be able to do any real transcribing for a while. As the school semester creeps up, I'm realizing that I was probably being a bit overzealous. I hate to flake out, but I still intend to get to this when I get some time.

blaketx, don't start from scratch episode 2, as I have posted it already but only about 2 thirds, in post #123. I agree it was a good exercise but I didn't have enough will. But it was quite thorough and I checked for errors.

blaketx - Don't worry about it. My plans tend to exceed my ability to execute them, too.

See attached for the first 13 minutes of episode 4. Based on how long this took me, I think I I should be able to finish a whole episode in 4 to 6 hours. Seems like the longer I go the slower I get. :( Kind of the opposite effect I was hoping for!

fendou_4a.txt

zhen_shuai, I wonder if you can finish ep. 2 instead where I left off? (post #123) That way, we will have complete ep 1 and 2. Why did you start ep 4, not 3, for example?

You guys rock, I am encouraged to restart this exercise!

Heh. I thought 2 and 3 had been finished. And I liked that episode...

Maybe we should just keep a running list of what has been transcribed?

N = Not done

P = Partial

F = Finished

C = Checked for errors

1 - F (source?)

2 - F (atitarev & roddy)

3 - F (renzhe)

4 - F (zhen_shuai)

5 - P (zhen_shuai)

6 - F (realmayo)

7 - P (realmayo)

8 - N

9 - N

10 - N

11 - N

12 - N

13 - N

14 - N

15 - N

16 - N

17 - N

18 - N

19 - N

20 - N

21 - N

22 - N

23 - N

24 - N

25 - N

26 - N

27 - N

28 - N

29 - N

30 - N

31 - N

32 - N

I also have made mp3s of most of the episodes that I've been listening to on my way to school or drawing or whatever. Even when I'm not paying 100% attention to it, it makes me feel like I'm back in China. :)

EDIT: As we've been doing these I have been updating this list to reflect what's already done. The files themselves are available here.

Edited by zhen_shuai

Good idea. I didn't know 6 and 7 (partially) were done too!

I placed the transcript of ep. 1, don't remember which site but my post had links.

It would be good if could synchronise the transcripts to produce proper subtitles, that way, the subs can be translated into other languages without needing to desynchronise.

I know how to resynch existing subs but not sure if a text can be plugged in. It might be a massive task, setting all the timings.

Finished off the last ten minutes of episode 2 - attaching it here.

If people are really aiming to get the whole thing transcribed, it might be an idea to start a new topic to keep track of everything, or at least gather all the attachments together on one post.

I know how to resynch existing subs but not sure if a text can be plugged in. It might be a massive task, setting all the timings.

Can't remember any names, but I'm pretty sure I've seen software which lets you add timings to a text file by watching the video and clicking or something every time you want to add the next line.

Fendou ep.2 complete.txt

Edited by roddy

In the meantime, the first post of the 奋斗 thread has the current links to all wordlists and transcripts (and everything else) we have so far. If we once have a big number of episodes, we can package them in a more compact way. Right now, they're easy to find if you start with the first post.

Edited by renzhe

Thanks for completing the episode, Roddy.

I am not sure any more I want to do synchronisation, knowing how time-consuming this is. The program you are talking about may be something like VisualSubSync

Renzhe, it's a good idea to put everything in one place.

OK, I'll add all the finished (complete) transcripts to the first post.

Roddy, your transcript comes out garbled. Which encoding are you using, and what sort of a file is it? Can you double-check that it saved correctly?