Chinese-Forums

"ATM" in Mandarin?

HedgePig

What is the Mandarin word for an ATM>

Nciku gives several possibilities

自动提款机 - zìdòngtíkuǎnjī

自动出纳机 -zì dòng chū nà jī

自动柜员机 - zì dòng guì yuánjī

Are all of these used fairly frequently?

Yours, short of cash

HedgePig

取款机 is what is written on pretty much every machine here and what people use, but you could just as easily say ATM and it would be understood by a lot of people and would be perfectly normal。 Chinese is a changing language, and listening to Chinese people speak to foreigners and each other I find the conversation is increasingly littered with English words and sounds, ATM being one of them.

you could just as easily say ATM and it would be understood by a lot of people and would be perfectly normal
With white collar workers, possibly. The security guard at the bank however most likely would not be able to help you (at least they couldn't when I was looking for an ATM the first time I was in China, so not knowing the correct word I had to describe to them what I was looking for)

出块机

is ok lexically in our minds I guess, but note that on its own means things other than money & 出 implies cash flowing 'out', not 'in' as with 取 or 提, so I'm not sure it'd be understood right. If we should use a self-explanatory colloquial word for 取款机 or 提款机 I think 取机 is much closer to Chinese language way of thinking. And I must admit I've never seen 自动柜员机 :-?

• 3 weeks later...