Chinese-Forums

Anyone at BNU fall '09?

blink

Ah, got a single in Dorm 3, so nice to sleep well.

New question: I am told no student ID booklet and no student ID card (the one I can use for library access and the canteens) until perhaps October 8th. But... My experience at BNU thus far has been one of swimming in a chaos of misinformation and half information. Which is kinda fun now that I've lived long enough in China to have learned how to just laugh along with it. But, figure I should ask here, anybody heard anything different?

The singles have their own shower room (it's about half the size of yours). If you have a choice, I recommend the doubles; you get a flatmate to chat with, a small living room with sofa, and a bigger bathroom. Cleaners come every day and clean it, so no worries.

I've not given public access to my gallery before so I might have screwed up the user permissions, but here are my photos from Dorm 3 in 2006; it's not really changed since.

http://adrian.sap-all.com/photos/URL/Beijing_2006/MyDorm/

User: chifo

Pass: chifo

Yep, thats pretty much what my room in #3 looks like now.

As for the student IDs - I got my booklet ID on registration day and cards are supposed to be available next week. The only other student I know who is delayed went through a university to apply and didn't send in a photo with the application. The photo they use for your booklet ID is the one you sent in when you applied so if you didn't send one that may be why you're delayed.

just a guess

Let me get this straight.

Today (Saturday, September 19) - Find out what classes we're in by going to dorm 1

Sunday - Buy textbooks at dorm 1

Monday - Begin class

When do we enroll for the individual classes? Or are we automatically enrolled in specific classes based upon our testing?

From the previous post it appears we can pick up our student IDs next week. Is this what is needed to access the library?

You're enrolled based on your testing. I think there's already posts here about that and about how to switch classes...

My room which is a dorm #3 B3 level (the ones with the bath tub) was about 12000 for the full semester. All the dorm information including pictures is available on BNU's website.

I'm sure most people are on campus, so it's not an issue... But I'm wondering if anyone's had success finding the placement test results online. The handbook references this website: http://219.224.18.8/lxsmc (needs to be viewed in Internet Explorer it seems), but I don't seem to see anything about test results. Would like to save a trip to campus... But the curiosity is killing me!

One of my friends mentioned electives yesterday. She found a downloadable list on the chinese version of the BNU website - don't know if it's available on the English version. It looked like all the elective cost about 450-600Y extra. You're not required to take any of them as far as I know unless it's required for you to get university credit back home. She said the deadline to sign up is this week, but I don't know if that's something you can get around easily like many of the other "rules" here...

So... It now seems each level seems have its own pre-arranged course list/schedule. For instance, mine includes: Reading-Writing, Newspaper, Speaking, Watching-Listening-Talking, and maybe another...

Does anyone know if I

1) may opt out of any of these?

2) possibly may join other classes--which may or may not be part of this Chinese Language and Culture Department (without taking the HSK)?

The answer to one of my questions, for anyone else that is curious...

I talked to my head teacher today, and since I'm only signed up for a semester and don't care about my grade (i.e. taking the final test for my certificate/whatever, and also placing into the next level), I can "tui" whatever classes I want. I would say, though, this is certainly not an authorization to skip class half the time.