Chinese-Forums

anyone heading to Tsinghua fall 2009?

caffeineaddict

There doesn't seem to be a thread for Tsinghua so I thought I'd start one!

I'm starting the 6 month program this September. Overseas Chinese from Europe/North America. Good speaking ability. Nada reading/writing ability so it should be interesting :D

Are people planning to stay in halls or private accommodation? Anyone planning to join clubs/societies?

I'm also going to be at Tsinghua in the fall. I'm a complete beginner, so this is going to be quite an adventure!

Does anyone have the link to the web site where you can book a room in the International Dormitories at Tsinghua? I'm still waiting on my admissions materials to arrive in the mail and would like to take a look. I can't see to find it on the main site for international students. Thanks!

Edited by marco-polo

The website you can book on is www.thutraining.com or www.thutraining.cn,

I've included the room descriptions below but unfortunately all the single and double rooms are gone already :-? . Only "AB" rooms are left. So I'm definitely going to look for private accommodation now!

"Tsinghua University offers three different types of rooms to foreign students, all of which are at Zijing Dormitories. Single Room (Private bathroom/toilet): RMB 60-80 per day. A&B Double Room (Shared bathroom/toilet): 60-80 per day/person. Double Room (Public bathroom and toilet): RMB 35-40 per day/person. (The fee is determined on the length of living). Included with each room are bedclothes, airconditioning, telephone, color TV, and internet access."

I've done a bit more digging and apparently this apartment complex called "Huaqing jia yuan" has a good reputation. It seems close to the subway station

here's a google map where you can see the apartment and school

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.992771,116.337318&z=15

I've heard that language classes are held near the NW corner by the sports field, which is a bit of trek but not too bad. I also plan on getting a bicycle which should be funny considering I haven't been on one for years.

How old is everyone? I'm 22.

HI caffeineaddict and Marco Polo,

As Marco Polo already knows :) .. I am going to be enrolled at Tsinghua next academic year. I do not have my application materials yet, but they told me that it is going to be a full year mandarin program.

Regarding the housing, Marco, I do not know when is the starting date for the scholarship. They just told me that I have to formalized the enrollment at Tsinghua campus before 15th September, but I don´t know if the full scholarship cover the housing from 12, 13rd or 14th september to the starting date (21st september).

Maybe this wednesday they clarify me something during the meeting with the counselor.

I can read around 800 characters and write 400. And speak a little bit. ... but for sure if there are corean and japanese speakers the level is going to be very high ... :lol:

And I am 32 ... hope to see you around ..:clap

Hi Palas Atenea

Do you know if only scholarship students have to register before Sept 15? On the form I got in my introduction package it says registration is Sept 14-16th. I guess I will get there early to be sure.

Hi Caffeineaddict and Palas Atenea - my admissions letter from Tsinghua arrived today. It says that I need to register on Sep. 14th or 15th. I don't know if these dates apply only to scholarship students - it's possible, as they don't line up with any of the other registration periods listed on the academic calendar on the Tsinghua web site. I think I would try to get it taken care of by the 15th to avoid any potential complications.

Many thanks for passing on the link to the on-campus housing web site, Caffeineaddict. I actually couldn't log in with the credentials they sent me, but if all that's left are shared rooms then I think I'm better off looking for a place off-campus.

I'll be studying Chinese this fall at Tsinghua. I'm a beginner as well and have been studying on my own this summer so I am not a complete newbie when I arrive in Beijing.

I'm a 22 year old recent college graduate from California. Where's everybody else from?

^I'm from China originally but now I live in London. And before that I lived in North America (Canada).

Hi Marco-polo,

There are both double rooms and AB rooms left (double suddenly became available today). I don't know if you'd consider AB rooms? They are shared but you get your own bedroom with a lock on the door. Here's the photos from the website for anyone who's interested.

2570_thumb.attach

2571_thumb.attach

Hi Caffeineaddict,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the AB Double Room. These actually look fine - it's the thought of having to sleep in the same room with another student and not being able to secure my stuff that would worry me. It would be easier in many respects to live on campus, at least for a while.

As I mentioned, I haven't been able to log in to the reservation system to see what's left. I've sent them an e-mail so hopefully I can get in the system.

Edited by marco-polo

FYI (but I suggest you read the contract online...this is just in case).

9. You can apply for the room by e-mail to gaopei@mail.tsinghua.edu.cn (this mailbox only accept Dormitory Application e-mail) if you can not do it online. Please make the following information clear in the e-mail: student ID Number, gender, birth date, room type (single room, AB room, double room), check-in time and so on. Application time is the same as the time as online application time. The application results will be published at website: http://www.thutraining.com or http://www.thutraining.cn from August 18, 2009 to August 20, 2009.

Hello again caffeineaddict - thanks for posting that information. I seem to have missed out on some communications that others have received. Was this in an e-mail that was sent to you? If it's online, would you mind sharing the URL?

As it happens, I found that e-mail address elsewhere and have already written them with my preferences.

Susie,

AB is essentially a single. The only difference is that ABs share a bathroom with another person.

I had my heart set on a single as well. I figured I was guaranteed one because I logged into thutraining the moment the site went online(midnight August 1 Beijing time). Glad I read this thread so I could switch my application to an AB!

hey,

I know it's too early to check for the status of my application, but when I click on the Reservation Result tab - this message shows up at the top:

"Your room application result is AB room(Unsuccessful)(2009-9-8)"

"Sorry! It's not the time for confirming the application result."

Does anyone have the same message?

Susie

Yep, I have the same message. As far as I know, the message means that your reservation has not be guaranteed yet. You should get feedback within 10 days regarding the status.

I'd recommend continuing to check every few days just in case it does change to, "No AB rooms left" or something similar. My application was for a single initially but after a couple days my status got changed to "No single rooms left, pick another type of room." Hopefully this doesn't happen with the ABs.

I'm also still waiting to hear back about my AB room application.

Hi susie10216, haha what a small world! Are you at uni/working in London? I've just graduated from uni(well, sort of....I'm working on my dissertation).