Chinese-Forums

anyone heading to Tsinghua fall 2009?

caffeineaddict

Here's a list of some the sports facilities available: http://www.kainy.us/eng/board1/boardlist.jsp?boardid=42&bid2=93&pageno=1

I'm curious if they have a gym with weights, bicycles, treadmills, etc. The Sports Center looks quite big from that picture. Perhaps they have squash courts and a gym inside there.

what?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caffeinaddict : you got multiple entry?????????????!!!!!

This is unbelievable. I tried to negotiate with them that I need a multiple entry but the chinese embassy people wouldnt budge. This is so not fair.

I am stuck in China for the entire course.

Not fair, not fair!!!

Hi Susie ... if you have an X Visa for the whole year, you should ask for a "resident card". With this document you can travel without problems. At least that´s what they told me at spanish embassy ... they even put me a paper with a clip with a reminder inside the passport: "you should ask for the residence card to the public local security department within 30 days upon your arrival to China to avoid an ilegal stay".

London and San Francisco ... I never been in SF but I definitely would like to .. London is fantastic ...

I think I will be with the beginners too ... great idea a meeting ... hope to see you around ... I am arriving on 10th for the enrollment on 14th.

Regards from Madrid.

i'm orginated of China and I live in France. I don't speak mandarin.

Donc tu parles francais Francia?? je dois le pratiquer, peut-etre tu es ma solution :wink: and no worries, my mandarin is nonexistent too!!

I'm curious if they have a gym with weights, bicycles, treadmills, etc.

I seriously hope they do, gotta work off all the awesome oily chinese goodness that i'm gonna be eating!! :mrgreen: not to mention the freshman 15 is something i could live without..

I am an undergraduate and I will study Economics at the Tsinghua. I have already spend one year in China before. My flight is already going on monday.

I love how everyone has done or is doing econ!! Have a safe flight sweet&sour!

Hello there one and all. I am going to be heading into Tsinghua for the Chinese Language Programme for a year.

Beginning to feel the pressure as I will be in Beijing on the 8th of August!

So when are people going to meet up? I would be up for it!

By the way, I am from Ireland.

Hi everyone,

I just managed to read all the recent posts - it's so exciting that we are all starting soon!

Minski: I am arriving in Beijing on 3rd September but I have actually reserved an AB room from 8th September. Since you have already moved in, I assume that it is possible to move in ahead of the allocated registration date?

If yes, this would be really good as I have yet to look for hotels...

If this doesn't work, anyone has any suggestions?

Caffeinaddict:

Re group meeting around 15th - YAY!! I am up for that!

LSE & London - I think there is a possibility that I have met you before since I have quite a lot of friends from LSE.

Bye for now!!

Susie

Hi Naturegirl,

Thanks for the extremely info you posted earlier!

I think we should ask whether there are any Italians going to Tsinghua this fall? :) Surely they would know how to make bolognese from scratch!!!!!!!! yumm yumm ^0^

Susie

Meeting up on the 15th works for me. I don't know any places near Tsinghua but I know a great Sichuan restaurant in Dongcheng District. Dongcheng is a bit far though so we should try and find a closer place.

I can't believe my flight is less than 2 weeks away. :mrgreen:

Wow, so many new people :)

Yeap a meet up on the 15th sounds good. I will be there from the 10th onwards...which is next week! So soon!

Meeting up on the 15th works for me. I don't know any places near Tsinghua but I know a great Sichuan restaurant in Dongcheng District. Dongcheng is a bit far though so we should try and find a closer place.

How about nearby? At Wudaokou? ...or we should all troop over to our Uni's canteens and try some cafeteria food! Haha!

LSE & London - I think there is a possibility that I have met you before since I have quite a lot of friends from LSE.

Haha same here, i might know the both of you then ;)

Wow, so many new people

Yeap a meet up on the 15th sounds good. I will be there from the 10th onwards...which is next week! So soon!

Quote:

How about nearby? At Wudaokou? ...or we should all troop over to our Uni's canteens and try some cafeteria food! Haha!

Quote:

Haha same here, i might know the both of you then ;)

haha that'd be hilarious if we recognized eachother :mrgreen: .

Great so 15th it is then?! Awesome it'll be great to start the year knowing some other people.

My family lives in Dongcheng....I think I know which sichuan restaurant you are referring to! Is it something Lou?

Hello everybody,

Glad to find the thread)) I m 22 and I also intend to study Global Business Journalism at Tsinghua for the next two years. I missed the time of the dorm registration in the mid August (as I ve been to mountaineering instructions program and we had no web there) so I had to stay off-campus in Beijing.

BTW, If anyone of you is looking for an apartment in Beijing, here is a nice link to find one

http://bj.58.com/qinghuadaxue/zufang/?minprice=1000_2000

=))) Would be great to meet you in Tsinghua!! If you're also intersted in climbing, just let me know

Olga

Is it possible to create a Tsinghua group or something on this forum? I think it will help immensely to know who is going and what we are studying etc.

I tried to create one, but I don't know how? Do I have to ask an admin or what is the dealio? If enough people think it is a good idea...it might just make things easier?

Hi

In case anyone else is interested, I just rang the Zijing Apartment reception and was told that students can check in earlier than their allocated dates! However, this will be subject to the room being charged at normal price for the number of days prior to one week before registration.

Susie

@Purple Chimp. Anyone who is not a new member can create a social group. This restriction is in place to prevent spammers from just signing up and creating loads of new groups. I've now lifted this restriction from you, so you should be able to create a group by clicking on the link above.

Actually I've just turned off the ability to create new groups - the social group function on here is pretty primitive and none of the attempts to use it have been very successful. This thread seems to be full of information about who is going and what they're studying anyway.

Ello all! Great to see so many people will be in Tsinghua this fall. Bit late on the forums but I'll be starting my Chinese Language Programme as well and will be moving into a double room (missed out on all the single and AB rooms) on the 8th of September. I'm 21 and am a Korean, raised in Hong Kong and graduated from uni in the UK.

I was actually in Beijing from April but had to come back every month due to visa restrictions but just a quick heads up, if I remember where the Zijing dorms are, Wudaokou is actually like a 30-40 min walk but in a cab, will get you there in 5 mins. There are some awesome little cafes in and around the Wu - probably the most notable and popular amongst international kids is the Bridge cafe (right next to Propaganda - which is a club bustling with the international student crowd, especially on Wednesdays). It's a bit pricey but great atmosphere and has an open roof deck. But if you walk a bit further down the same road, there's a place called the Helen's cafe, which is an absolute gem of a place in my opinion.

Anyway, hope to meet some of you soon - gonna be one hell of a semester haha

Is it possible to create a Tsinghua group or something on this forum? I think it will help immensely to know who is going and what we are studying etc.

I tried to create one, but I don't know how? Do I have to ask an admin or what is the dealio? If enough people think it is a good idea...it might just make things easier?

Hm... or we could start a fb group.. :D

though i heard that fb is now blocked in China? So that might be a problem when we actually arrive there and attempt to arrange a meeting.

if I remember where the Zijing dorms are, Wudaokou is actually like a 30-40 min walk but in a cab, will get you there in 5 mins. There are some awesome little cafes in and around the Wu - probably the most notable and popular amongst international kids is the Bridge cafe (right next to Propaganda - which is a club bustling with the international student crowd, especially on Wednesdays). It's a bit pricey but great atmosphere and has an open roof deck. But if you walk a bit further down the same road, there's a place called the Helen's cafe, which is an absolute gem of a place in my opinion.

30-40min walk ??:shock: perhaps that might be a good time to try out my new bike then..

Oh how about Peking duck? Are there any good places around Wudaokou??

Facebook is blocked in China, and if anyone does start any groups can they get in touch with admin staff here before posting about it.

(edit: let me clarify - given that you'd probably be attempting to do the same thing we do here, I can't see that we'd wanted it promoted on-site. Feel free to send me reasons I should change my mind.)

If anyone's looking for somewhere for a meetup, the Bridge Cafe is an excellent choice. There's also this new place which I think should be very close to Tsinghua - haven't been there though.

Edited by roddy