Chinese-Forums

anyone heading to Tsinghua fall 2009?

caffeineaddict

30-40min walk ??
Depending on your walking speed, that sounds about right. Tsinghua is huge and the dorms are located right up the back. A quick look on google maps tells me it's about 2km. Getting a bike at Tsinghua is highly recommended.

@roddy, close to Tsinghua's south gate is still a 20-30min walk from the dorms :mrgreen:

I'm under crazy grandmother house arrest till check in, so I'll see y'all around 9/15 I guess. I'll be hitting up Hangzhou and Shanghai right before school starts, so I'll be eating a lot of great food and roaming the silk markets. Definitely looking forward to getting a gym membership to keep the pounds off so I can keep eating the way I have been.

Does anyone know where to buy decent second-hand bikes? I want to get that taken care of before I move in.

Definitely looking forward to getting a gym membership to keep the pounds off so I can keep eating the way I have been.

I'm right there with ya :mrgreen:

Can't wait to meet everyone on the 15th! Anyways, I was forwarded the email below from a contact at tsinghua, thought it was note-worthy for everyone to see. I'm also attaching the brochure mentioned.

-----------------------------------

Dear Students,

In the recent days, since several students have been found infected by the influenza A(H1N1) virus, the university has raised the alert level of controlling this disease. There are a large number of people intensive in the campus with high mobility, so the infulenza A(H1N1) virus with the characteristic of fast spreading is a dangerous threat to the healthcare of all the students and staff. The FSAO and the Property Management is concerned and responsible to protect the safety and health of the foreign students and will take necessary measurements.

The Beijing CDC has published a brochure to all the foreign students, attached in this email. Everybody is strongly suggested follow the advice, take care of personal health and appropriately adjust the daily life. Once symptoms like fever or diarrhea occur, please report to FSAO or the servant of the Property Management as soon as possible, in order that necessary medical care is applied quickly. Sometimes, tracking and quarantine may be carried out to the person who has close contact with the confirmed patient of influenza A(H1N1). We really appreciate your cooperation and understanding.

Best regards,

Foreign Student Affairs Office

Tsinghua University

Sep 4th, 2009

T: 62773076/62784621/62784857/62788503

---------------------------------

2657_thumb.attach

Hey,

I just got my bike today, I was hoping to buy a really cheap second hand bike but ended up buying a new one because they don't have any second hand ones at the moment. It must be snapped up by all the new students who are starting. It costs RMB 160 which includes the bike, basket, bell & a lock. Hopefully it won't breakdown soon. :)

Btw, the flats are very close to tennis courts and basketball courts!

Susie

You can also use the stereotypical bike messenger method - cover your new/expensive/shiny bike with black electrical tape which you can then scuff up and get dirty thereby hiding the fact that your bike is new/expensive/shiny without the heartbreak of actually damaging your bike.

I'm in Beijing now, though I'm not living in the dorms so I'm still apartment searching with some friends. I went to Tsinghua's campus for the first real time today--it's absolutely lovely, and everything everyone has said about it's size is so very true.

Also, I second Roddy's suggestion for the Bridge as a potential meetingplace, I loved it when I went there a few years ago.

Hey,

Thanks.

It already has a few dents in it already. Also I bought the cheapest model .

Anyone else in Tsinghua already??

Susie

Hey i just arrived today. Staying in the AB rooms. The rooms are much smaller than i expected though! And the toilet floods when you shower! Everyone here seems to speak Chinese really well, i haven't heard any english being spoken around the campus at all yet!

and yes the campus is massive. I am still stuck around the Zijing apartments area but will explore it soon, looking forward to getting a bike. Does anyone know where i can get one nearby?

Hey Su-ey21 I was walking down to the city area today and I saw a guy selling bikes. I just got here this morning..I'm so drained and tired! I'm at apartment #23 lmk if you would like to explore :)

FYI: for those who are coming..bring a ethernet cord! for some reason I thought this school would have wireless internet..or the decency to provide you with one!

Hi everyone,

I'm already in Beijing for a bit now. I write my thesis here and also attend Tsinghua the coming semester. If you guys want to meet up we could see each other at Bridge or Lush later this weekend. I would suggest Sunday at 7 in the evening at Bridge?

About the Bike discussion: If you want to get a bike easy and quick without bartering etc. Go to the Wal-Mart. It's located at Zhichunlu station (one down from Wudaokou). I got my bike there almost 2 months ago and it still works fine.

Hey Su-ey21 I was walking down to the city area today and I saw a guy selling bikes. I just got here this morning..I'm so drained and tired! I'm at apartment #23 lmk if you would like to explore

FYI: for those who are coming..bring a ethernet cord! for some reason I thought this school would have wireless internet..or the decency to provide you with one!

Hey! I can't seem to pm you, but i will be going to get a bike in campus apparently there's a bike shop somewhere? Let me know if you want to come with! I am in building #20

-su

"sweet&sour" or others,

are you still interested in sharing the rent of an appartment with some one? I'm heading into Beijing tonight and would be willing to find a place to share. Actually I've already found several interesting places both inside and outside Tsinghua University area.

Briefly about me. I'm 25 yo male student from Finland staying at Tsinghua for the Autumn semester. I'm waiting for your reply not later than Sept 16th.

Alright, who's down for the Bridge 7PM on the 15th?

So who's gotten their phone set up? I'm unlocking my phone so I'm wondering who I should buy a simcard from.

Flying to Beijing tomorrow! So stoked!

I got my simcard from the supermarket in school, it was the cheapest i could find. RMB65 for a simcard with 50yuan credit inside.. but i have used like almost all the credit already in 3 days! Because they charge for incoming calls for the first month !

I'm moving into halls tomorrow. Can't wait.

Quote:

Alright, who's down for the Bridge 7PM on the 15th?

Sounds great. I'll be there!

To anyone who has a bike, how much was it and how much are the locks??

I got mine for RMB160 for a bike, bell, basket and lock. I went to the bike shop inside campus down the road from the tennis courts and field. I warn you though that the bikes aren't the most stable thing in the world, but at least i know people won't steal my bike! It's brand new but it creaks and is a bit unsteady!

I still have no idea where this Bridge cafe is! Have already been to the Wudaokou area but have been hanging around sanlitun more.. the bars there are great!

Why don't we all meet around campus and go together?