Chinese-Forums

anyone heading to Tsinghua fall 2009?

caffeineaddict

Re: Mobile phones

China Mobile is doing a promotion at the moment - if you top up / charge your phone by 200 RMB, you get a free 100 RMB calling credit card.

I am still confused regarding their different type of sim cards but at least this deal looks good.

Alternatively, China Telecom is giving away a free Sanxing phone if your top up/charge 200 RMB. :) This looks good if you are looking to change your phone or to obtain a phone that can read chinese texts.

Re: Meeting up on 15th at Bridge Cafe

Yes, I am definitely up for this. See you guys soon!

Susie

Hey guys,

I've already met susie, barron009, kopfan, malgnohp, and purplechimp. So we are probably going to head from the campus as most of us are in Building 20.

Shall we say, meet at the reception area of building 20 at 7pm? To those who want to go, i'll pm you guys separately my number just in case you can't find us :)

See everyone soon!

-su

Hey guys,

I might be out of campus around that time so I will go directly to the cafe. I am going with a few friends too. I have told two other people the meeting is at 7pm so I guess I will have to be there at 7pm in case they get confused.

See you guys later!

Susie

Hi everyone, this is Felicia. I finally joined the forum after figuring out I needed to log in to open access internet, thanks to Suwen.

Anyway, I'll see everyone at the cafe today! :)

Also, I still need to learn how to ride a bike. Hopefully we can have a group training session for those of us unable folks...

Yop!

Hey guys,

I am from France, studying at Lyon. We are two students coming from my university, we'll study here for two semesters. I will arrive on the 17th, my friend -Stouf- will come one day earlier.

We are required by our university to study some technical stuff, it might be difficult for me considering my chinese is quite poor haha :conf

I will be studying at the computer science school and my friend is heading to the mechanics school. We will also study chinese at the same time.

Do you know other students who did the same thing before? How was that?

I couldn't book a room on time, hope i can find one when i arrive, i booked a hotel room in case!

Hope to see you someday!

Hugo

Hey Hugo

You will probably need to stay at a hotel for the first few days whilst searching for an apartment outside of campus. It's shouldn't be such a difficult thing even though it may be a little stressful. Beware that some people might be quoting you over the top prices.

Since you are studying an undergrad/postgrad course for 1 year, the university may have assigned someone to look assist you. So, if your Chinese is not fluent enough to handle haggling with real estate agents, I would suggest you get in touch with that particular person so he/she can speak on your behalf. I have a friend who had to do that same. Even though he doesn't speak a word in Mandarin, one of the teaching staff helped him in the apartment hunting process.

Also, maybe you should search for apartment hunting info on this forum - it has a lot of information about living in Beijing.

Anyway, I love Lyon! I was there two year ago - trying to learn French (which I have completely forgotten).

Goodluck with everything.

Susie

Hey everyone!!

just settled into dorm #20 today. A lot of tips and pointers mentioned on this forum definitely helped me with the process.

In any case, I noticed that there are basketball and tennis courts just outside our dorms. If anyone's interested in a tennis partner let me know!!

Quick info about myself; 23 just graduated from college in the US originally from Hong Kong!

tongy

Thank you for your help Susie!

I arrived yesterday and could obtain a AB room in building n. 20

One cool thing is that it seems i don't have a flatmate yet, so i can have the bathroom for myself.

I bought a tennis racket today, tongy, maybe i can be your partner ;)

I am going to buy a chinese sim card tomorrow so i will let you know my phone number by that time by private message