pineapple = 菠蘿

eggplant = 矮瓜

grape = 提子

cucumber = 青瓜

gingko = 白果

lettuce = 生菜

and in mandarin, they are

pineapple = 菠蘿

eggplant = 茄子 (obviously they are not 瓜)

grape = 葡萄, a little bit coufuced, here some ppl thought that 提子is a different kind of 葡萄

cucumber = 黄瓜 (yeah 青瓜 is reasonable, they are not yellow at all)

gingko = 银杏

lettuce = 生菜 or officially 莴苣

cometrue, did you mean pineapple is not 鳳梨 in Putonghua? And why is eggplant not 瓜? (I am not serious. What do I know about these things? :wink: )

We call all sorts of grape 提子, e.g. 紅提, 青提, 無核青提, 提子汁.

And in HK popcorn is 爆穀, not 爆米花; a shower is 花灑頭, not 蓮蓬頭 (didn't realize the differences until I failed to communicate with the hotel people in Mainland).

cometrue, did you mean pineapple is not 鳳梨 in Putonghua? And why is eggplant not 瓜? (I am not serious. What do I know about these things? :wink: )

i've never heard about 鳳梨 until wathed the 王加卫's 重庆森林(im not sure if that was the one or 堕落天使), i m afraid the saying is from taiwan, or at leat not northern china, we all say 菠萝

i think something like melon is 瓜, such as cucumber...and i m serious... :wink:

We call all sorts of grape 提子' date=' e.g. 紅提, 青提, 無核青提, 提子汁.

And in HK popcorn is 爆穀, not 爆米花; a shower is 花灑頭, not 蓮蓬頭 (didn't realize the differences until I failed to communicate with the hotel people in Mainland).[/quote']

now i m beginning to doubt your mandarin pronunciation. :D 花灑頭maybe not a comon saying, but most ppl can understand it, but we say 花洒no 头here, and i have never heard 莲蓬头 either... we just say 喷头 or something...

did you say that as "wa sha tou"? hah, kidding~~~

now i m beginning to doubt your mandarin pronunciation. :D 花灑頭maybe not a comon saying, but most of ppl can understand it, but we say 花洒no 头here, and i have never heard 莲蓬头 either... we just say 喷头 or something...

Don't doubt my pronunciation (it is good by the way, except for occasional mixing up of the 1st and 4th tones). The hotel people understood that I was talking about 花灑頭, and asked if there was a problem with the 蓮蓬頭 in my room. That happened in Sichuan.

As to 鳳梨, it is strange that you don't use this term. I learnt when I was a kid that pineapple should be written as 鳳梨.

so you would never be a 贤妻良母

I am postive that you are right this time.

Don't doubt my pronunciation (it is good by the way, except for occasional mixing up of the 1st and 4th tones). The hotel people understood that I was talking about 花灑頭, and asked if there was a problem with the 蓮蓬頭 in my room. That happened in Sichuan.

wow, that explains... first, sichuan is not belong northern china, and then, maybe that was just a slang

As to 鳳梨, it is strange that you don't use this term. I learnt when I was a kid that pineapple should be written as 鳳梨.

u meant that you were in mainland when you were a kid?

I am postive that you are right this time.

so you are really a girl? :D

:) so, in Cantonese and Mandarin, there are proper ways of saying certain words? some master craftsman only speak cantonese, so even for business in southern china, communication can be sometimes difficult.

cantonese speakers have more fun with my mandarin. is this common experience?

"情深不壽 強極則辱 謙謙君子 溫潤如玉" is from 金庸. I think the last 8 words describe the ideal man.

"sky" are my initials. And please have no more discussion about me. :oops:

好吧!

-to 别人:我还是没明白,你们明白了吗? :D