Chinese-Forums

Teaching English In Harbin

Ria___

Hey!

So, I have been speaking with the Zhiyuan English School, has anyone heard of this school? Or better yet worked with them?

This will be my first time working/living in China, so obviously I'm pretty wary and scared!

One of my biggest fears is being lonely, are there many westeners floating around that i could be friends with? Also i know NO Chinese, so the language barrier is quite daunting.

If anyone can shed any light on teaching English in Harbin I would be very thankful

Thank you.

I have no direct experience in Harbin, but I know there will be more than a few foreigners and Chinese there who can speak English, and if you are a little outgoing you can certainly make friends. I know of a few people who taught in Harbin and liked it.

I'm not so outgoing and I met many people when I went to China without even trying.

But there may be some lonely times. It's just something you may have to take a chance on and experience for yourself.

And of course, make sure the school you plan to work for is honest and treats the teachers decently. I think that is the most important thing. Don't want your first experience to suck in that regard.

Good luck.

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

I know I will make the most of my time there, I'm just scared that the school might not be what it says it is. I tried to check it out online but its all in Chinese!

The contract is for a year, is this standard length of contract usually? It seems a long time to be away from home, but i guess its all part of the experience!

I'm really excited and know that this is something i want to do, I'm just scared of leaving everyone back in England...

They're one of the smaller schools in the city. The biggest ones are Joy and Sunshine. Joy's got a fairly high turnover rate, from what I understand.

Sunshine is the largest private employer of English-speaking foreign teachers in the city, with over 20. However, they only hire through the Will-Excel TESOL Diploma program. Sunshine is also foreign-run, which is a huge plus for those new to China.

All together, there may be over 100 native English-speaking foreigners teaching here in Harbin at any given time.

English-speaking locals are few and far between. To really get the most of your experience here, you should try learning Mandarin. Bincai gets really good reviews. They're also very affordable.

Would you recommend that school then? Basically, it's not notoriously bad or anything!?

I haven't heard anything about "Zhiyuan", nor met anyone that works there, which doesn't really mean anything. Often times here in China, no news is good news.

Most schools in Harbin are hiring right now, so you can look around and shop for better offers. I'd ask for references of past and current teachers before making any firm decisions.

So are you in Harbin then? You enjoying your time there?

One of the things swaying me to Harbin is the architecture and history of the city. It also seems quite modern with an array of activites to do in the evenings and weekends.

Within a contract the school sent me, they said I'd have about 16 days off throughout the year contract.. Does this seem normal? With one day off a week...

That does not seem normal. At a decent school you'll have at least 2 days a week free (usually the weekend, but private schools may need to shift them to other days). In addition, you'll be given all school holidays off also. These holidays probably add up to a couple of months. 16 days seems rather short. I agree with kdavid. Before you agree or sign anything, ask for the contact information of past/present teachers and then speak with them.

I thought that as i read it. I have asked the headmaster to put me in touch with a current/former teacher. I'll see if he replies!

The contract says 100 hours a month, with 10 hours a week doing stuff to advertise the school?! The more I'm thinking about this school the more unappealing it seems!

I really want to teach in China, but im struggling to have faith anywhere! I recieved an offer to work with Bond Institute, but after a bit of research I saw blogs saying to steer clear of them!

Can someone point me in the right direction of a reputable school or organisation in which they got their job in China with?!

So are you in Harbin then? You enjoying your time there?

I'm currently in my fourth year, with a wife and newborn born. Love it. Not planning on leaving until my son is old enough to start school.

It also seems quite modern with an array of activites to do in the evenings and weekends.

It's a very typical second tier Chinese city.

Within a contract the school sent me, they said I'd have about 16 days off throughout the year contract.. Does this seem normal? With one day off a week...

For a private school, this is quite normal. Two days off a week, consecutive or otherwise, is generally quite good.

The contract says 100 hours a month, with 10 hours a week doing stuff to advertise the school?!

So that's 25 hours a week teaching + 10 hours of misc. duties? If so, that's a raw deal. I'd dump it.

Now, if the 10 hours a week is sitting in the office and showing off your (I'm assuming) white face to potential students, then that's not so bad. You can use this time to prepare for lessons, study Chinese, etc. Office hours aren't so bad as long as you utilize your time wisely.

I recieved an offer to work with Bond Institute, but after a bit of research I saw blogs saying to steer clear of them!

In Harbin? I haven't heard of this school.

Can someone point me in the right direction of a reputable school or organisation in which they got their job in China with?!

There are a lot of good schools here. You're more likely, however, to read about bad ones as people tend to only note negative experiences. In many cases here in China, no news is good news. Just make sure you do your research.

Hi Ria,

I don't really know anything about the school you mentioned, but have put a call into 1 of my friends asking if he heard of it.

As for being alone in Harbin, that will be impossible , there are hundreds of westerners here teaching English . The language barrier can be quite daunting at times, buy a good translation book and you will do fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I taught at this school when I first came to Harbin - I only stayed for 1 month because you had to be there for 40 hours a week and only taught for 1 hour - basically you were there only so the school could say "we have a foreign teacher" - the head master is fine and perhaps things have improved now.

I only stayed for 1 month because you had to be there for 40 hours a week and only taught for 1 hour - basically you were there only so the school could say "we have a foreign teacher"

I can totally understand how a lot of people would be turned off by this. However, anyone serious about studying Mandarin would probably really like this. You're essentially getting paid to study Mandarin.

A lot of new teachers may benefit from this time as well, as good, well-written lesson plans for most new teachers can take anywhere from 2 - 4 hours each to write.