Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua Spring / Feb Semester 2010 [Chinese Learning Program]

99cwhho

I realised there wasn't a thread for the Spring/Feb/Second Semester @ Tsinghua... so i thought i'd start one...

Anyway, i haven't actually applied yet - but as i found out tonight... the application doesn't open until October (info courtesy of 'Canon') - please correct me if i'm wrong...

also, does anyone know the exact dates of the semester - i.e. when does it start and end?

(someone posted that Tsinghua said it approximately finishes on 4th July)

finally, those who are on the Fall Semester (i think it starts this week?) - please could you contribute to this thread if you can, giving us an idea on how the course and life is there...

- and if you're on the year-program, it'll be nice to get to know you guys and maybe meet up eventually, when we head over...

thanks !!!

...not much reponse to this thread... i assume not many ppl are going to Tsinghua for Spring Semester then...

but anyway - this might be helpful for some:

............................................................................................................................

It is too early to apply for the spring semester 2010.

Please visit our homepage to get updated information and apply for Spring Chinese program on-line during Oct 15 to Dec 15,2009.

http://intlstudent.cic.tsinghua.edu.cn/EN/index.html

If you have any questions,please don't hesitate to email to us.

Best regards,

Sincerely,

2009-09-17

Chinese Language Program

Foreign Student Affairs Office

Tsinghua University

Beijing, 100084

P.R.China

Tel: +86-(10) 6278 4621

Fax: +86-(10) 6277 1134

..............................................................................................................................

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I applied and was admitted for the spring semester (though not counting on anything until i get all the docs!). I am debating between Tsinghua and Fudan in Shanghai (Fudan mostly b/c I think Shanghai will be more fun), but leaning towards Tsinghua, so hope to see some of you guys there!

Not sure if anyone whose been to/at Tsinghua, but am curious about a few things if anyone knows:

1) Where are the foreign student dorms located on campus? Are they in the northeast corner? Am curious as to how hard it is to get to the zhongguancuan area.

2) Is it possible to take classes in the other schools at Tsinghua. So for example, I know they have the SEM which teaches courses in English - could be interesting to take a business class from the perspective of a Chinese University

3) What banks on campus exist in the US (if any)? Would love to get something set-up before heading there

hey,

i sent my application about 2 weeks ago. it says my application is completed online, but it's missing my application fee. i didn't pay it, because i was told it was okay not to - and then pay it together with the tuition fee.

- basically, i didn't know how to pay it - though i told them to give my friend a call (who's at Tsinghua right now) if they had to have the RMB 400 in order to accept me.

- so i don't know if i'm accepted yet - will be giving them a call tomorrow.

@hichew - do you know when term starts and ends? and how did you pay for the application fee?

also, regarding your questions - best to ask the people in the other thread (tsinghua autumn semester)

for the application fee, i actually sent in a bank check / cashier check. i emailed the folks at the program and they said to send either a bank check or just make a note that you'll pay when you arrive (so basically fine to not send anything). i've read that other folks also just sent in cash (i did that for my Fudan application and it worked). hope that helps!

Hi,

yer, like i said, i was gonna give them a call this morning - but i went onto the online application portal thing to check first - and... i got admitted!

this is what they said:

Congratulations! You have been admitted by our program. The admission documents will be issued before the end of December, 2009. Please wait for it. You have not paid the application fee, so you need pay it with your tuition fee when you register in Tsinghua in Feb 2010.

(though, for anyone else who's thinking of applying - like 'hichew' said - you ought to explicitly state that you will pay it later)

so, i will now wait for the documents. though - i still don't know when term starts or ends.

next: plane tickets + sorting out accommodation.

in terms of shanghai vs beijing - i've been to both places. shanghai is more fun/buzzing, and i think the food is better, but beijing is more scenic and can be fun as well, if you find the right people, right places...

i'm choosing tsinghua, because i think the experience of studying there will be worth it - and there's a lot to explore in PEK.

i consider Shanghai a great tourist place though - if i get the time, i will be going there during or after the programme.

I've also applied for this semester. So I'll see all of you there in February.

Registration starts on the 24th I believe. Still waiting for my package but that's what I read from the Tsinghua website.

Does anyone know if the Physical Examination form for Foreigners needs to be filled to apply for an X Visa? Because from what I've read they do they exam when you get to China. Please fill me in. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I found this thread today and i'm so happy I found it. I just got my email that I'm admitted for the spring semester. I will be reading chinese language year. I'm a typical oversea student. Born in Beijing and moved to sweden when I was 5. I speak fluent chinese but cant read or write! I'm not 100% sure if I'll go but I think so.

So about the accomodation in campus. I saw on a earlier thread for 2009 that there is a webpage where you can see which rooms that are available and book them. It was named something thutraining.com or so. But it doesnt work for me, it says that the webpage no longer exists. Anyone with the same problem?

Looking forward to meet you there! :D

/ Cheri

@99cwhho: I'm still waiting for my package as well so not sure about definite start/end dates. I have it in my head that its Feb 22 to around July 10. Thanks also for the thoughts on Shanghai vs. Beijing! I'm still mulling this over - I think Tsinghua will be better for the actual program itself and the cultural experience ... but Shanghai will prob be more fun :) I also have a finance/business background so I'd get the side benefit of getting to know Shanghai better (although I'm also in technology so being near Zhongguancun is interesting as well).

@Cherrieberrie: I'm in the same boat where I speak mandarin pretty fluently but can barely read and write :(probably at a third grade level). Regarding the dorms, I imagine if the website is for bookings then it's down for maintenance now as they gear up for the next semester. Will let you know if I hear anything else!

my friend who is currently studying at Tsinghua, just signed up for next semester in person. They told her that if she was planning to leave China before the course starts, she has to pay upfront otherwise not. She obviously told them that she would not leave China and so she wont have to pay anything until the course starts.

Still waiting for packet as well ...

I emailed them about the accommodations and it seems like they're not doing early registration. Rather, you just show up and its a first come first serve basis. From the doc they sent over:

1. Since there are enough rooms in the Spring Semester, the online application system of the foreign student dormitory is temporarily closed. In less than one week before the registration time, new students may directly go to the General Reception in Zijing Building 19 to check in.

2. Only in the week just before the indicated registration time, the favorable room price is applicable. Those who want to stay even earlier than that week should pay at the normal price for the extra days.

3. Students need to pay for the rental of six months and a deposit of RMB 200 yuan altogether upon check-in.

I'm going to give them a call to confirm and will keep you guys posted. If you have questions about the dorms, the number to call is: 86-10-51535500

For dates, key ones are:

2/16-2/26: Check-into dorms

2/23-2/25: Registration

2/26: Placement test

3/2: Classes start

7/5-7/6: Getting completion certificate

@hichew: Bank of America owns part of China Construction Bank and so has an arrangement to allow BofA customers to make withdrawals from CCB ATMs as if they were BofA ATMs. There is a CCB branch just outside the southeastern gate of Tsinghua University.

There are also Citibank ATMs around but they are not as common as the ones for CCB.

@Ippokun: The China medical examination rules may differ depending on where you are so you should check with the nearest Chinese embassy or consulate. If you are in the United States, you will need to have a physical examination and then have the physician fill out the "Physical Examination Record for Foreigner" in order to get the X visa. After you arrive in China, you will almost assuredly be told that the U.S. physical examination is not good enough and that you will need a new examination done (at your expense, of course) before you can get your residence permit.

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone (:

I'm glad I found this thread! I just got admitted to the spring semester at Tsinghua too, and I wanted to connect with some of you before getting there! I don't really know anyone in China...nor do I know how to speak mandarin hmm lol

So does anyone know how accomodations will work? Is there no way to reserve a room, and we're just expected to fly to China in hopes of having some place to live? :( That's kind of sketchy.