Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua Spring / Feb Semester 2010 [Chinese Learning Program]

99cwhho

hey ntsang!

i keep meaning to call them about the rooms to ask more, but always forget. i think you do just show-up and get a room. don't think it's that sketchy though - you just run the risk of getting a crappy room (the shared ones look really crowded).

when were you thinking of getting there? i was thinking around the 18th to get the rooming situation settled, but the foreign student affairs office doesn't open till 2/22 ...

also, what are folks thinking to do for health insurance? they've included a 300RMB fee for medical treatment / accidents ... but that seems very little. does having additional insurance on top of this help you? i'm just thinking out loud here ...

Hey,

@ntsang - as far as i understand, they will have plenty of rooms (they're confident of this), because the number of people who have applied for the course isn't particularly high (the last bit i deduced from the fact that they extended the application deadline)

so yer, you just turn up, let's say on the 16th (that's the day i plan to arrive in Beijing) - go to the relevant place/office - register etc., and they'll give you your room that day.

...however, in this sense, i believe it's a first come first serve in terms of what type of room you get... as, logically, when the single rooms, let's say, get all taken up - yes, they will still have plenty of rooms for the so-called late comers... but they'll only have share rooms left... if you get what i mean.

...unless the number of single rooms exceeds the number of admitted applicants...

anyway, has anyone else gotten their 'Pack' yet?

...i don't - even though they said i would get it by the end of last year!

- it's frustrating, cause i can't book my flights (i can, but i don't want to before i see all the details), and i can't go get my visa and physical done etc.

!!!

Hi everybody!

I totally forgot that this thread existed! I recieved my pack about two days ago and i'm so excited! I have relatives in Beijing so I will fly down to China and spend the chinese new year with them. When are you guys going to go check in to the dorms?

I also wonder if anyone knows or have a clue about how many that applied this year? Since the letter said that there weren't so many so the online booking thing was cancelled.

Oh i'm looking so forward to it. It almost feels like i'm going home! I have an idea, it would be cool to know where everyone is from? :) I'am from Beijing but moved till Sweden when I was 5.

Hey,

so i phoned them last night (their morning) - packets were sent out on the 15th Dec - so i should have it VERY soon. If not, i need to drop them an email - and they'll send an email (i think) of the crucial dates to me - and told me to go get a normal (tourist) visa.

RE: visa - apparently it doesn't make much difference which one you get - as long as you get one with minimum 6 months validity. Reason being... once to get to China, you need to register again for a Resident Visa (that allows you to stay in China for longer periods, without the need to leave and re-enter again). I'm still not very clear on this. Is there such a thing as a Student Visa anyway? - and if so, how is it different to a tourist visa, since you have to get a resident visa anyway?

anyway, @ Cherrieberrie - Hi! I'm from UK. Funny, cause one of my best friends is a Swedish-Born-Chinese - she's from Helsingborg. She took me to Stockholm once. Sweden's a very nice place!!!

like i said before, i intend to check-in on the 16th... or maybe 17th.

hey guys!

i received my packet end of december and just dropped my visa application form today (does not seem like they're going to give me anything but a single entry. am also cutting it close with the 6 month visa). i'm thinking of arriving the 16th/17th as well (also to try and get a single :) - we should all meet-up once everyone knows their schedules!

as for me, i was born in taiwan, but moved to the US when i was pretty young. live in new york city now. going back to grad school in the fall so taking some time off to try something different :) i'm also 26

as for the number of people ... it does seem like a much smaller group relative to other years/semesters ... wonder why. plus could be better ratio of teachers to students. minus is smaller group of people :( and potentially fewer class divisions based on level ...

Hey guys,

I have received my package from Tsinghua on tuesday.

And I'll be flying in from Toronto. Doing part of my physical exam today.

Then visas and tickets very soon. So much to prepare so little time.

If anyone has some tips or suggestions on things I should bring/do prior to getting on the plane that I might be oblivious to PLMK. =)

As for when I plan to arrive, it all depends on when I can get all the papers ready. If possible I will probably fly in a week early just to orient myself a bit instead of just throwing myself in there once I land.

Also if anyone else is flying in from Toronto/Vancouver, LMK. Maybe we can meet up for a less boring flight. =)

Hey!

Hmm I wonder why there was so many fewer that applied for this semester.. Does anyone know how many that was in the language program other semesters? Is it a couple of hundreds or 50?

Anyways, I think i will also check in 16th or something to the dorms. I'm going to start apply for a visa this week and and get all of my papers ready. So crazy that its just one month left! I'm really excited, it will be my first time leaving home although I have relatives in Beijing :)

In the papers that Tsinghua sent me they said that they wanted a medical and health exam when you applied for the visa. But then it said that if you are applying for a visa less than one year (F visa) you dont have to bring any medical/health exam? What do you think? I will only stay for one semester so i shouldnt be needing the medical/health exam?

and also, does anyone if you can wash your own clothes there or if there is going to be some "cleaning" service or something?

Anyways, I think we definitely should all get together when we arrive at Tsinghua. :)

and @ 99cwhho - Yes Sweden is a very nice place but its freezing right now :( So its gonna be so freaking nice to leave the cold weather :) Btw, I always wanted to go the UK! In which city do you live?

for number of folks from past semesters i think its more at 100+. as for why this semester is lower, not sure :T wonder if more folks registered with the shanghai schools b/c of the world expo this year (just throwing out theories). other theory could be economy related. i know more people last year who were traveling b/c of unemployment (though not sure what the key demo for these programs are).

for the medical exam, you don't need to do one if you're just applying for the F visa. what you should make sure to do though is sign that sheet that tsinghua sent! i dropped my visa app off on friday and realized after that i never signed the sheet (hope they don't make me reapply b/c of that).

as for clothing, i remember reading somewhere that there are laundry machines but also a drop-off service (and that the drop-off service costs about the same). don't remember where i read it though so could have been for another school ...

Hello all,

Very happy I found some people going to the same program as me :). Though I know absolutely nothing for Mandarin I have been studying for about a week and will study daily up to the program's start date. Not that I will know anything by then either (I'm sure I will be in the "elementary classes"), but I hope to learn as much as I can during the year I will be attending.

I was wondering for those of you who are both English and Mandarin speakers already if one of you would like to work with me with spoken Mandarin. Since I have little experience I know it may be a pain for some of you, but it would be greatly appreciated (perhaps we could do it at a tea house or over food, my treat as compensation). I just want to get as much exposure to Mandarin as possible but have the ability for someone to explain it to me in English as well.

Anyways, look forward to the program and perhaps I will meet you all soon.

Hi my name’s Shannon, I’m from Australia and I will be coming to Tsinghua on exchange this semester too! I stumbled on this forum from Google, and it has been a great help :)

I will be arriving in Beijing on the 19th and be taking the Chinese language program for exchange students.

Does anyone know if there will be an orientation session, or when the placement tests will be? I have looked through the admission papers but couldn’t find information on this.

Looking forward to the experience, and meeting you all there! :D

hey,

finally got my pack. thinking of getting a f-visa - with 2 entry and 60 day period of stay on each - if they let me. that will be perfect for me and long enough, and saves me the hassel of getting a physical done. (i'm going into china a week earlier in guangzhou - to visit relatives... whilst being based in HK. meaning... i'll be going to Beijing from Hk... and via a 24 hour train - oh, how exciting!

but yer - count me for a meet-up earlier on - i guess it'll be sometimes during the week of `16th Feb, when i guess most ppl will be arriving.

@Cherriberrie - yer, bet it is freezing and snowing, right? - my swedish friend couldn't get back for xmas - and spent it alone here in London. it's been snowing a lot over the past 2 weeks here too.

talking of which, my friend says she's very confident that she knows you - i don't know why or how. well, she's called Carin Ly, and wondered what your name was.

but anyway, i studied in London for 3 years, but my home is based in Coventry, near Birmingham.

@ Mulletious - hi there, would like to have mando chats with you - but unfortunately, by mandarin isn't up to scratch - i can get by, but by no means of holding a proper conversation. good luck on that anyway.

@ Shannon i think the placement test is sometime late feb, like 2Xth of Feb - then classes start on 2nd March. well, that's what it says on my pack! did they no give you a dates schedule?

not sure about orientation though. but, since you're doing the exchange course, and not the chinese lang. programme (which is what i am doing, and others in this forum, i believe) - maybe it's different?

anyway, likewise, looking fwd to meeting u guys there. maybe organise something nearer to the time.

Best.

Ok so I got a problem.. with the pack papers and with the papers that you can see how much accomondation costs. They say that you have to pay for 6 months, but if you stay one semester March - July that will only be 4 months? Do they really mean that you have to pay for 2 months extra? I didnt understand.. anyone?

@ 99wccho - Haha i know its so freaking cold that when you step outside the door, i feel like dying! I dont think your friend know me because I dont know anyone namned Carin Ly. My name is Cheri :) pin yin: Shi Rui

@Cherrieberrie

To my understanding you will indeed have to pay the 6 months plus a small deposit when you register. The 6 months rent you pay should be at the reduced rate of whatever 6+ months is. If you pull out early you will be charged the cost of renting for whatever period you were there. So instead of the 6+ month price you would be charged the 4 month price if there is a difference. The remaining plus deposit will be returned to you, assuming you didn't trash the place. =P

Hope this helps.

See you all there in February.

Hi Guys!

I'm started Tsinghua during Fall and I thought I'd meet some of the people coming this semester and help you guys out. You might want to check out the Tsinghua Fall 2009 Chinese Language Program. A lot of us met via the forum or knew someone who was in the forum, it was neat and the majority of us still hang out.

(I apologize if I'm repetitive)

It's freezing here right now -1C or 30F its been like this for a while since winter and the snow. You guys might want to pack accordingly I'm not sure how much the weather will change in one month. However, I heard that it does get hotter towards the summer.

As for things to pack they have a Wal Mart that's one train station away, a supermarket on and off campus. I heard that its hard to find deodorant so you might want to bring that. Also, you might want to bring hand sanitizer and any medications that you might need (tylenol, advil, peto, etc). They have an on campus hospital (Tsinghua is massive so it probably takes about 15-20 walking) I went there before and it was quite cheap but its all Chinese medicine. Oh and also bring an Ethernet cord, if not you can buy one here, but if you have one might as well bring it.

For those of you who are arriving early there are still students around who didn't go home for the holiday. Also, I think the flight might be more expensive considering you're arriving around Chinese New Year. If you come early you can check out the campus and the surrounding areas.

The apartment services don't allow students to reserve rooms because there is a lesser attendance rate during Spring semester I guess. That doesn't mean there isn't anyone here! Some students left and some are still here (i.e. me!). If you guys have any questions feel free to ask!

Semester Calendar:

2/22 - Foreign Student Affairs Office opens

2/23 to 2/25 - Registration Date

2/26 - Placement Test

2/27- Orientation Meeting

3/2 - Classes Begin

@99cwhho - thanks for your reply, I didn’t receive a schedule in my package, I was only given registration dates and start and end dates. I have a friend who is currently studying at Tsinghua as an exchange student and she has told me there are two Chinese language programmes – one for exchange students. So I guess the programmes, and their dates would be different, but thank you anyway!

And thanks for the tips Malgnohp, they are very helpful!

Good luck with final preparations! See you in February !

Hey Guys,

Im from Australia and will be joining the Spring 2010 class too.

Was just wondering regarding the accommodation, will probably be getting to Beijing around the 20th and was wondering whether anyone knows if there will be single rooms available? Didn't want to get there too early as nothing will be open following CNY. Not a big fan of this first come first serve accommodation system!

Hope to see you guys in Feb.

Hi guys!

Great to see there are so many fellow mandarin enthusiasts heading over this spring.

I've had twelve evening classes so my Mandarin is pretty basic but really looking forward to spending more time on it.

I'm from the UK, also near Birmingham (@ 99cwhho)! I'll be arriving a bit late - around 12th March.

Look forward to meeting you all!