Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua Spring / Feb Semester 2010 [Chinese Learning Program]

99cwhho

Hi!

I'm glad I found this thread!

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

I'll be arriving on the 22nd of feb, I hope it isn't too late ( I'm little worried if I still can get a single room...)

btw is anyone here have zero to really little knowledge of mandarin? I'm worried that it will be just me and I'll fall behind everyone else...

hey everyone!

i just landed and registered for a room yesterday (buliding 22). as a note to folks who are yet to come in - you won't be able to get internet access until saturday! the office has irregular hours right now because of the holidays and are open saturday and tuesday.

also, make sure you bring either RMB or a charge/credit card when you do the room registrations. i think it's been mentioned here, but they charge you for 6 months rooming which comes out to about $12800 RMB if you get a single (you have min. 2 month stay and then when you leave they refund you in RMB). if you use a charge card they add about 200 RMB processing fee. just wanted to flag this because there was this poor guy who showed up at registration with a bunch of euro and was in a bind since the office doesn't do conversions and most of the banks are closed right now.

also, i decided to get a hotel room for the first night after landing. personally, i'm super glad i did (esp given the internet situation)! there's one nearby called the xijiao hotel which is about $40 USD. its near wudukao so would be a good jumping point to get your bearings and stock up the dorm room with things to make it more comfortable/welcoming http://www.xijiao-hotel.com.cn/index.php?styleid=2

still have not figured out a cell phone ... but will hopefully get that done today!

Edited by hichew

So glad i found this thread now. Landed last night and almost died from hypothermia at the airport!

thanks for letting us know the cost of the rooms. do you know if there are still plenty available? hope so - i'm going to go there now and try and sort it out.

am happy to meet up with whoever is already here though i have no idea of where anything even is.

hey guys,

i checked in yesterday - what a nightmare! when i settled in - i later found out that there is no internet (as mentioned) and the campus supermarket and restaurant already closed (the guy said 6pm) - so i had to starve without dinner. this morning - walked around - the place is deserted, guess because it was early and bcoz of cny.

anyway, managed to get some food in me - but that was troublesome - cause you need a cashcard thing. so i paid someone to use their card. i asked the lady - and she said you can't buy the card ?!?!?!?! - how am i to eat? so so confused.

i got on the bus, that stops outside the foreign students' dorms - 731 i think - and just got off whereever it looked busy, haha. i'm here at an internet cafe at 'zhongguan' street - where's there's a 'wu mart' (supermarket).

anyway, so glad i found internet access.

haven't got a number yet.

but whoever is around - please come by and find me... i'll pm my room number to those who i believe are here already...

maybe, go have dinner later tonight, or subsequent nights. i should be back later this evening.

i wasn't aware of extension numbers... - shall go find out later today - and maybe come back out to this internet cafe tomorrow.

hey guys,

So I managed to check in today, after wandering around the school lost for an hour. If you're catching a cab you should tell them to drop you off at the north west gate, because i got dropped at some gate in woop woop and had to walk a bloody long way and I am pretty certain I was walking around in circles at one point. The place as mentioned before is deserted so there's no one to ask directions bar some Chinese tourists who are showing their 6 year old children what university in big beijing is like and there are streets but no street signs that I could see???

I'm also in building 22 - and the lady said you have to buy an internet card on Saturday. The whole country gets 7 days public holiday for Chinese New Year which started only on Monday, so I'm guessing nothing is operating at normal hours yet.

And also has anyone got a phone yet/? It is probably best just to get a prepaid one right?

@modester: Hope you settled in alright! There seemed to be plenty of rooms yesterday when I checked in as they asked me what floor, etc. I'd like to be on (i.e., there were options)

@99cwhho: Sorry things were such a disaster for you! It seems like we may have just missed each other at check-in yesterday (unless you were the guy without RMB :) I caved and got the hotel for another night just to be more near things (it's 188 RMB!) but will be back on campus tomorrow evening probably so will try and find you then!

Met up with a friend of a friend today wandered around further as well as got some errands done. Some things to note:

- The area around the school and dorms is dead. If you're there now get off campus and explore or else you'll definitely get depressed. If you just walk all the way south, go out the south gate, and make sure to hit Chengfu Road, things will get livelier. There's a huge super market in that area called the Lotus Center and If you go east on that road, right after the Wudaokou subway station, you'll hit a mall called U-center which has some stores in it. There's also a bookstore there (and right near the subway station) where you can get some Learning Chinese books if you want to brush up for the placement test

- When getting a cell phone, definitely shop around for phone prices! I basically walked into the China Mobile near Wudaokou and bought a phone for 1080 RMB and card for like 358RMB. Later found that phone at Walmart (1 stop down from Wudaokou) and Carrefour (near Zhonguancun) for 200RMB less! Thinking through the numbers, not sure how I ended up paying that much for the card when I only got 100RMB on it (he said it was the card fee but that seems like a lot). Also, I went kind of middle to low-end and regretted doing that. I should have just gone super low end (400RMB phone) or high end. Now I have an overpriced phone that I don't think I'll get that much out of (I guess this is general phone buying common sense)

- Once more people settle in I suggest we do a Walmart/Carrefour run for big items! Or maybe that's just me. I find the need to get another drawer set for the dorm and would LOVE a floor light. But for some reason it doesn't seem like they believe in floor lights as I have not seen any despite lots of desk lamps

The campus and the surrounding areas are a little dead right now, but during the actually school year there are a bunch of people playing basketball, soccer, tennis, etc. I believe after the weekend is over there will be more students coming back from break. But enjoy the fireworks while you're here! They've been going on since New Years Eve.

The Lotus Center "YiChuLianHua" (易初连花) has a Kodak booth, there you can get a China Mobile "YiDongTongXin" (移动通信) SIM card for about 65yuan and top up for 100yuan. Some of the kids from last semester went to "ZhaoLanYuan" (照澜院) on campus and got a free phone as long as they put 200yuan into the phone. Usually you can purchase a SIM card at the C Building on campus, it's quiet close to the dorms..but I believe they won't have any until after the 20th. Your best bet is to unlock your phone before you come here. If you want a floor light or any other furniture you might want to check out IKEA "YiJiaJiaJu" (宜家家居).

Best of luck to you guys and hope to meet some of you guys soon!

yes - the place is indeed depressing! - so get yourself to wudaokou!

i'm here now - at bridge cafe - hence the internet access.

anyway, i went to get a 'food card' today - but you need your acceptance/registration note - so i'll have to go back tomorrow. the place is not that obvious - but it's next to a bike stand - and once you get past there, you go round to the left and the entrance is right there (assuming you're walking down from the student's service centre (where the campus supermarket is)

i went exploring the SEM (school of econ and mngmt) - pretty nice - it's based around a park like thing... then i exited the main tsinghua gate, down south... ending up onto wudaokou...

anyway - i got myself a number - but i paid 190 for it - but it says it has 190 kuai on it ?!?!

- i don't actually know my number - i'll try and find out later...

also - if anyone needs passport photos - there's a kodak express opposite the BGH shopping place (on the other side of the wdk subway)... i got mine done there yesterday.

well...hello all !

i arrived on 15th feb 2010. n im in building 21.

will apply for the internet account tomorrow. maybe we`ll meet there.

im worried about the placement test...

does anyone know which book is good for chinese learning ? and where should i buy it?

it`s nice to meet you here :)

Hi all!

I found this forum after googling Tsinghua Chinese placement test! I was trying to find anything on the web that might help me with it... no luck so far!

Was wondering if anyone wants to meet up? I haven't had that much luck meeting many people and not sure I will until the orientation meeting, but that's still quite a few days away and it's starting to get boring on my own!

Let me know if you're keen!

Yo, just created an account to speak with other people in this program. Just moved in a few days ago at dorm building 21.

I have to agree with the others, the campus is boring right now with everyone still moving in. If you're feeling restless or adventurous ride the 五道口 (WuDaoKou) subway around town. Card cost a 20 RMB deposit for a card and 2 RMB for a ride anywhere.

Here's a website on the subway system

http://www.thebeijingguide.com/subway/subway.html

I went to 王府井 (WangFuJing) of line 1 to meet up with a friend at Beijing Hotel, the streets there were much more urban then WuDaoKou with a lot more to see in my opinion there. There we got lost and saw long line of people in front of a small pastry shop with 4 people working like Christmas elf on Christmas eve. They had the most amazing cream puff and egg tarts, and the girls and old grandmas in front of me where ordering 3-5 bag full of cream puff! I don't remember the street since we were lost but try asking around for it if you stop by there.

I heard from my friend that 西单 (Xidan) of line 1 is the place to visit if you want to get some shopping done. I plan to visit that place next after the placements and welcome meeting is over. If any you guys discover any fun places please share it with the rest of us.

Hi All,

Nice to meet you! I'll be studying at tsinghua this semester. I have been living in Beijing for the last year over the east side of town. So, new to Wdk but I know some of the visa/city stuff if people have questions. If there is a group meet up, count me in.

Good luck for the placement exam - probably see you all at the classroom tonight to check the exam schedule.

I am looking at apartments off campus. I will probably end up living in a single bedroom place on the BLCU campus but if anyone is looking for a flatmate, please reply here and we can exchangencontact details.

Rachel

23yo female, Australian

Hey everyone,

I'm in the midst of applying for diferent universities in Beijing! I'm interested in applying at Tsinghua University for the Fall 2010 semester, I have one question:

1) are the classes split up into levels. For example, at BFSU, you can be placed in a level A reading class and level C oral class. (if you're oral is better than reading) or is it the same class and people throughout the whole semester.

:help:help

thanks in advance! hope you are enjoying your semester :mrgreen:

Hi,

Yes, they have elementary, intermediate and advanced classes all with there own subdivisions. You will be assigned according to a placement test (brief written and listening). You can opt to change during the first week if you're unhappy with your allocation.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm really glad I found this particular thread as I've also applied to Tsinghua but for Fall 2010.

So far so good and my online application has been verified - the only problem is (which has been addressed in this thread or another I think) I didn't realise you were supposed to bung a load of cash in with the documents mailing for the application fee. So at the moment, my status is 'complete' but fees are missing.

So I emailed the correct email address for the Chinese Language Program last Thursday and haven't had a response from them. I tried calling them on all the numbers they listed but apparently 'they were not recognised'!

Any help from anyone who's there/ been in the same situation etc. would be lovely!

I've read that Tsinghua are usually very responsive when you email them but shoudl 'responsive' read within a couple of days or within a week/ couple of weeks?

As you can tell I REALLY want to make sure my application is a-ok...am just panicking slightly...

Thanks all!

nazreal

OK so scrap that, Tsinghua just emailed me today (yup - it was me being impatient I guess!) so say I can either pay 65 dollars or 400RMB but that I should just pay when I get there.

Having said that, I'm still holding out until I get the package from them....

nazreal

Hey!

I just applied for fall 2010 for Mandarin @ Tsinghua... how long does it take to get accepted?

I did the online application March 28th, sent my materials overseas April 5th, so now i just idly wait here. It's hard to contain all of my excitement (and fear) ever since their web page went down for maintenance (the studyattsinghua one :tong ).

Reading all of your posts, it was a bit of a relief to read that enrollment is down (sounds like my chances are up!). I imagine the Olympics created a surge of students, and with it being done so are the international students. Someone mentioned Shanghai and the world Expo- I imagine that is another significant factor.

I've been to Tsinghua before, and it was wonderful! If anyone needs info, let me know! I found pizza (well, what an American would consider real) and still have their number (and yes, they deliver and speak enough English). Any other odds and ends feel free to PM me about.

Hello bunny87,

Oh excellent - I'm glad someone else has applied to Tsinghua for Fall (although us Brits call it Autumn hehe) 2010 entry!

Well I applied literally when everything went online and sent my documents off pretty early. As per my previous post I did a bit of boo-boo when it came to the application fee but I'm hoping the uni are as good as their email written word.

Although I'm a British Born Chinese, I've actually never been to China! Yup! My family are all from Malaysia and the word China even sends chills down my mum's spine hehe...something about crazy communism and Mao...

Anyway, I'm also really excited about going as I've given up my job to go :)

So when did you visit Tsinghua? First impressions??

nazreal