Chinese-Forums

Z visa require TEFL certification if working as Teacher in Beijing Shanghai Shenzhen?

sandinstone

I was told by one of the Recruiters that they won't be able to help me get a Z visa if I don't have TEFL certification for teaching in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen or Guangzhou. Is this true? I have a degree from the States and have been living in China for a year with L visa (expires in March 2010).

Thanks in advance

Jason

sandinstone @ gmail . com

In many places, the "ideal" candidate for a Z visa will:

Be a native-speaker with a passport from the US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand (and sometimes South Africa)

Have a BA

Have two years of teaching experience

Have a TESOL/TEFL qualification

Schools in the cities you've mentioned can meet this standard because the supply of foreign teachers in these areas is so high.

Schools in areas outside of these cities have to settle for teachers who don't fit the the "ideal".

Once you really look at most packages in cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, etc., they don't stack up to what you can receive in other places with a little experience. Schools in lesser known areas are more likely to offer better benefits packages because that is what they need to attract good, qualified teachers.