Chinese-Forums

Where can I buy a yogurt maker in China?

Pengyou

While home this past year I have developed two new addictions. The first is to gourmet type yogurts, the second to finer beers. In order to satisfy the first addiction I would like to find a yogurt maker and start making my own yogurt.

Where can I buy a yogurt maker?

Ok, in response to a PM, here is how to make yoghurt with a box :-)

Things you need:

Cooking thermometer

Polystyrene (or some other kind of insulating) box.

Desk lamp

Milk

Yoghurt Culture (plain yoghurt without any additives apparently also works as a starter, but I've always used a yoghurt culture so I can't comment on how well just normal yoghurt works).

Before you make your first batch of yoghurt, you should do a few tests on the box/lamp setup (see attached pics) to make sure you can maintain the correct temperatures (see below). You'll also need a lamp that has a normal filament globe and not a fluorescent one. I use a 25W globe. The wattage will have an effect on how hot the box gets so you'll want to do tests beforehand.

Instructions:

Put the lamp in the box, turn it on, and close the lid to begin preheating the box to the correct temperature.

In a saucepan, heat a litre (or however much you want) of milk to 85 degrees celsius. You'll need to keep stirring it to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Keep it at this temperature for a minute or two. This kills all the unwanted bacteria in the milk so that it won't interfere with the yoghurt culture.

Cool the milk down to around 40 degrees celsius (a quick way to do this is to place the pot in a sink full of cold water).

Place the milk in a jar or some other kind of container (I use nice big glass jars), straining it to remove any skin that has formed on top.

Add the yoghurt culture (you need to make sure the milk has cooled before doing this, otherwise the high temperature will kill the yoghurt bacteria).

Place the jars in the polystyrene box and close the lid.

Monitor the temperature. You need to maintain the temperature at around 38-44 degrees celsius. You may need to open/close the lid a little bit in order to get the balance right. The first few times you make yoghurt, you'll need to check things quite often until you get a feel for how much gap you can leave in the lid to keep it at the correct temperature.

Keep it at the temperature for 24 hours (checking every few hours to make sure it's at the correct temperature).

Your yoghurt should now be ready. It'll last 2-3 weeks in the fridge, but will almost certainly be eaten before then :mrgreen:

See attached pictures for the box setup used.

2680_thumb.attach

2681_thumb.attach

Appliance stores such as Suning might have them - that one is listed online, but what stock any particular store holds is anyone's guess - phone in advance if you don't want a wasted journey. Large supermarkets like Carrefour or Walmart maybe.

I'd be inclined to just order one online - here's one on Amazon.cn, and they'll deliver and take cash on delivery.