Chinese-Forums

60th Anniversary Celebration and Parade - watch live online now . . .

Meng Lelan

The girls in pink mini-skirts aren't real soldiers (the pink might have given it away).

They are the so-called citizen's militia, a volunteer force specifically organized for the 60th Anniversary military review. See an article below about it. To qualify, you have to be between 1.63-1.75m tall and between 17-25 years of age.

http://news.qq.com/a/20081210/002337.htm

北京选拔女民兵参加国庆阅兵 80后报名踊跃

近期,朝阳区不少社区或是贴出了通知,或是在社区网里发了帖子,称将对有意参加阅兵女民兵方队的社区居民进行报名登记;报名条件为身高在1.63米至1.75米之间、年龄17岁至25岁的女性;通知书的落款为社区居委会。据悉,朝阳区武装部目前在亚运村、麦子店、朝外、高碑店等多个地区开展了女民兵的招收工作,被选拔出来的女民兵将从12月下旬开始接受训练。

某街道办事处武装部的工作人员表示,女民兵的选拔工作是从11月底正式展开的,选拔面向社区居民和辖区单位,街道将选拔10名身体健康、政治过硬的女民兵上报朝阳区武装部。目前街道办事处已经完成了招收工作,报名者以“80后”为主,既有社区的居民,也有辖区单位推荐来的优秀女员工,选拔工作正在进行当中。

Fighters just come overhead here, presumably on their way home.

The girls in pink mini-skirts aren't real soldiers (the pink might have given it away).

Normally the mini-skirts would be the clue, but today . . .

Jiang's was probably 三个代表. If you click the Youku link earlier you can move back and forth to find the bit you want.

I'm glad China does stuff like this now and then - reminds me I'm not living in Kansas any more.

Edit: I think Zhang Yimou is involved with shows on the square later - not this parade. Although that would be good - you could start off with simple floats of peasant life, and build up to extravagant historical costume floats.

At least we get to play on the net while watching this. I feel sorry for all those people having to hold the 社会主义好 signs up. Apart from those in the first row, they don't even get to see the parade going past.