Chinese-Forums

Spending Costs in Harbin

darkwater1017

I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the correct place. I am traveling to Harbin for 10 days, and my flight and hotel are already paid for. My question is, how much money can I reasonably plan on spending if all I'm doing is traveling locally and buying meals, etc. I won't be buying any souvenirs or gifts to bring back with me.

I know that "pocket" cash can vary depending on the detaisl of the trip, but seriously this is a very low-key trip, just ordinary day-to-day shopping at the grocery store, the occasional lunch or dinner out, and a visit to a coffee shop now and then.

Thanks for any honest opinions.

I do not know whether you have been to China before.

in my opinion, the ordinary spending in most provincial capital is about the same.

I went to Harbin last month, I think 30-100 RMB per person per meal is enough, and it depends on the number of people having meal and which kind of restaurant you choose.

besides Chinese restaurant, there are many Russian flavor restaurants.

You can go to "zhongyang street "(Centeral Street in English), the downtown area. there are more choice for meal for international people.

I think 30-100 RMB per person per meal is enough, and it depends on the number of people having meal and which kind of restaurant you choose.

If you're eating at Zhongyang Da Jie then, yeah, you're going to spend this much. However, if you eat with the locals, you're looking at around 10 RMB a meal.

Also, if you're traveling on a budget, avoid eating and shopping at places like Zhongyang Da Jie. It's a nice place to visit, but you're going to pay 3 to 4 x's as much for a meal/beer/etc there than elsewhere.

Thanks for the good advice. This is my first trip to China, and usually when I travel I try to avoid the obvious "touristy" destinations. I'm much more interested in ordinary real people, local culture, local food. I prefer to travel as if I were a local, except of course I'm staying in a hotel:lol:

If you're coming later in the year, it'll be a bit cold, but start at the Nantong Da Jie (南通大街) end of 大直街 and walk down toward the town center. Stop at Guogeli (果戈里) and walk down that area.

These are nice walking areas that aren't touristy. Zhongyang Da Jie (中央大街) is for tourists. As I mentioned, it's worth some time, if you're not short on it, but don't plan on spending any money there.

The streets I mentioned above have plenty of local flavors and prices.

Enjoy!

Edit: By the way, there's tons of subway construction on some of those streets now, but the signs around the city say they'll be done around November. Just letting know you know as the construction in some areas will be distracting if you're going for a long walk.