Chinese-Forums

Mustard in China?

leeyah

I've been looking for (any kind of) mustard 'cause I love it especially as a spice with fish/土豆, but I haven't been able to find any. In the supermarkets there's mayonnaise, some salad dressings, and ketchup, so I thought I'd find mustard as well, or perhaps I didn't look in the right places. :conf

Mustard is a herb,right? Does anyone know if it's grown in China at all or is there a local substitute for it perhaps? I just don't feel like asking people pls send me a tube of Thomy Scharfer Senf for my birthday...

Any information on where/how I can buy this priceless condiment in China will be greatly appreciated. :)

Depends on where you are... in Shanghai, City Shop might even have Thomy Scharfer Senf, I seem to remember the Carrefour carrying (French) mustard.

Other places, I'd definitely try Carrefour or Metro.

Otherwise, no, China is not big on mustard. Mustard greens, sometimes, maybe, but not mustard. "You want hot, get chile peppers." ;-)

Well, compared to Shanghai, Guangzhou is a small town...:mrgreen:

Haven't checked out Carrefour yet, I was certain ParkNShop or Jusco would have it. And with all the construction in expectation of 亚运 next fall, getting to the nearest Carrefour from school can be a bit of a mess right now. It's definitely not the Guangzhou I used to know... but thanks for reminding me of places to look for it & also for the info on Chinese preferences:

"You want hot, get chile peppers." ;-)

Right, I see tons of those small jars with dark-red jam-like thing in it. Tried it once or twice, just to make sure - NEVER again ...

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...