Chinese-Forums

粤语与唐语

Quest

Also, I am interested in the relationship between 西安话“得四”and the Japanese "desu". Is that true? 西安乃秦都,相传徐福。。。

Not really, it's quite a big stretch of the imagination.

Xian's “得是” (deisi) is used in questions to express doubt, or to contradict (反意疑问). I guess someone must of gotten confused with what the desu in Japanese そうですか? (sou desu ka?) means, and thought: "wow they sound similar and the phrases express the same thing."

Xian's 是 (si) is equivalent to Japanese "desu". This is the same for most Chinese dialects. The character 是 in Japanese is pronounced as a voiced ze (是非 zehi).

Xian's “得是?” (deisi) or "得是的?" is equivalent to Japanese "sou desu ka?" or something like 是吗? or 真的? in Standard Mandarin.

When answering questions in positive term, both Cantonese and Japanese pronounce the same. Cantonese uses 係 for YES in a positive answer while Japanese uses Hai which sound the same.

I was under the impression that the Cantonese Hai is a restricted form of Yes, similar to Mandarin 是 (shi4). It is better translated as "It is" or "It is so." Am I wrong?

Shanghainese has a broader form of Yes: éh (/E/ 53). It covers: 对,正确,是,可以.

I was under the impression that the Cantonese Hai is a restricted form of Yes, similar to Mandarin 是 (shi4). It is better translated as "It is" or "It is so." Am I wrong?

You are correct... essentially 係 replaces almost all instances of 是 in Cantonese, sometimes even in compounds such as 但是, which becomes 但係 (it doesn't happen to all compounds, i.e. 要是 stays the same).