Chinese-Forums

Betel Nut chewing

Ian_Lee

Speaking of Taiwan, I remember betel nut chewing. I have never tried it before but it seems many Taiwanese are addicted to such habit. From what I know, here are the attributes of this industry:

(1) Betel nut chewing is apparently bad to your health. Taiwanese top among all other countries/regions in the rate of oral cancer (mouth and throat and even stomach).

(2) Probably betel nut cannot be swallowed like chewing gum. That is why after long time chewing and becoming tasteless, the residue of betel nut is being spitted.

(3) The residue looks very awful since it is deep red in color. Moreover, it is also a sanitary problem for the public.

(4) It causes dental problem since the teeth will darken after long time chewing.

(5) Betel nut selling also evolves into a sex industry with many sexy dressed ladies standing by the roadside soliciting customers for the sale of the betel nut as well as their bodies. Many motor cycle and truck drivers are hooked.

But why is betel nut chewing so addictive? Is it like dope? Has anyone tried it?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have tried it. It is a stimulant and is probably a bit more powerful than coffee.

I don't think I would ever become addicted to it. The process of chewing it and spitting is quite troublesome. It doesn't seem to bother many Taiwanese men though.

I don't think it's common in Taipei because I'm pretty sure Mayor Ma kicked them out (when he kicked the brothels out several years ago) - I've never actually seen a betel nut stand within the Taipei city limits.

But once you hit Tamshui (or any other direction) NEON NEON NEON and scantily clad girls for miles.

• 5 weeks later...

In the old time, Japanese chewed betel nut too. And the blackened teeth are probably not a result of chewing betel nut, they intentionally blackened their teeth by charcoal.

(The betel nut will leave your teeth deep red in color only.)

Have a look of these old ladies I've met in Vietnam!

00028.jpg00028b.jpg00028c.jpg

00028g.jpg00028h.jpg00028i.jpg

I've tried binglang (betel nut) and it definitely is addictive drug. I felt a little bit dizzy but euphoric. :shock:

Many truck drivers in Taiwan chew binglang and that's why they are driving so crazy. Some friends who were driving outside a town with motorcycle said, that the greatest danger are truckdrivers chewing binglangs.

BingLang..... I have almost forgotten the chinese name of the betel nut.

In Malaysia, the nut ic chewed together with a white paste(mentioned in an earlier post as gypsum but i think it is lime) and a leaf. I do not know the name of the plant from which the leaf is taken.

BTW, the bing-lang comes from a palm tree. Grown quite widely all over south east asia. Quite a nice palm.

A bit more info on the binglang Xishi in Taiwan:

As to what I heard, that custom started when some binglang selling xiaojies started to dress very sexy, and subsequently sold more. So all binglang xiaojies started to wear less and less.

I was told that they really only sell binglang, and not themselves, that the men buying the binglang only get to look at her but not touch her, that most of the time, the binglang is bought from a car window, so that binglang Xishi are not the same as hookers. But I guess there are some (or many) that are.

I was told that they don't sell alone, there are always two people in the selling boot, so that it's reasonably safe for them.

In Taipei, binglang Xishi are not allowed, but binglang is still sold by people with some more clothes on. In other places, it's really a lot of "neon neon neon and scantily clad girls".